A New Future For The Tt.

grant

My experience so far ( spending 10-12 hours per day driving) has been that the standard of riding has been much better than usual this year (so far!) and there have been fewer incidents of being on the 'wrong' side of the road.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of safety measures I've just seen one of the air fences in action for the first time as Mark Parrett slammed into one at high speed, only to get up dust himself down and walk away.

The way they absorb the impact is amazing, certainly better that a few bales of straw

But what about French, Spanish, Italian people (or 'continentals' as Tony Brown called them this morning!), or Americans, etc etc etc? Do they not drive on the 'wrong' side of the road too?

Yes, most "Continentals" drive on the wrong right side of the road - but fewer and fewer can afford to come here....

I would have thought the kind of hardcore biker who travels across europe for it will be coming regardless of a few quid more from the steam racket/hotels/fuel

it's the english weekend glory boys who will probably be put off as they want a cheap razz at high speeds and a few nights on the piss

I would have thought the kind of hardcore biker who travels across europe for it will be coming regardless of a few quid more from the steam racket/hotels/fuel

it's the english weekend glory boys who will probably be put off as they want a cheap razz at high speeds and a few nights on the piss

True - some hardcore fans will always come, but Joe Average who really wants to get here to see it for real once can't always afford it - I know of a lot of Germans that save for a long time to be able to come here. Two weeks here with your bike easily buys you 3 or 4 weeks Barbados all in.

The Steam Racket's efforts don't help (the crossing from Hull to Heysham is cheaper than the hop from Heysham to here - and the H-H crossing includes cabin, dinner and breakfast, and - so I was told - they can actually plan for and handle large capacities in advance) and putting on the same entertainment on the prom for the third year running doesn't improve things either - don't get me wrong: I love the TT, I want it to go on for another 50 years min - the acts are class - Russ Swift is ace, Colley anyway, and the JetQuad is still nice - just not as nice anymore as it was the first time - and visitors are saying that as well. Already met quite a few people that said they could have saved themselves the trip as it's the same stuff as last year and the one before, only interrupted by more advertising and corporate banners.

A lot of things could be improved for the future - better travel arrangements for example - not only for TT, also during the year - proper Biker Tours and stuff - DTL: wake up and learn to cash in on Dad and his midlife crisis...

.....the crossing from Hull to Heysham is cheaper than the hop from Heysham to here - and the H-H crossing includes cabin, dinner and breakfast, and - so I was told - they can actually plan for and handle large capacities in advance)

Erm...wouldn't it be easier to ride from Hull to Heysham ??

.....the crossing from Hull to Heysham is cheaper than the hop from Heysham to here - and the H-H crossing includes cabin, dinner and breakfast, and - so I was told - they can actually plan for and handle large capacities in advance)

Bollocks - I meant Rotterdam - Hull. Slight geographical mistake :rolleyes:

Got to wonder how much is safety measures and how much is the weather? Mad sunday was dead quiet because it was pissing down for example and one race has been postponed (though no idea why, the weather seemed fine?).

The race was cancelled due to fog on the Mountain.

Bollocks - I meant Rotterdam - Hull. Slight geographical mistake :rolleyes:

Yes, you won't have had much fun in Stalingrad either... :-P

I always thought the Germans marched down the middle of the Champs Elysees or is there more shade on the Right???

In terms of safety measures I've just seen one of the air fences in action for the first time as Mark Parrett slammed into one at high speed, only to get up dust himself down and walk away.

The way they absorb the impact is amazing, certainly better that a few bales of straw

I saw Daniel Jensen smash into the barriers at Union Mills today, don't know what sort they are, but he walked away, bloody amazing. His bike was a mess. This was at the Railway pub, I'd imagine the thriller was there.

Archived