[BBC News] Ban for Manx mobile phone masts

Newsbot

I am really starting to despair at the BBC, the reporting is so inaccurate to make it seem either infantile or made up.

first they call our railways tramways

now they think the public works committee owns property all over the Island

it is only a committee of Douglas corporation, it can only be talking of things belonging to Douglas Corporation, and presumably it is subject to full Council approval. Any transmitters already on corporation property are presumably subject to agreements and so cannot be removed except in terms of the agreements.

technically MER is a tramway (the design came from the US street cars) - the steam railway is the railway

How the freakin hell can you get off topic and start talking about MER Tramways when the topic is clearly about banning mobile phone masts?

Get a grip.

Last 10

technically MER is a tramway (the design came from the US street cars) - the steam railway is the railway

Hang on, just lets take the leather jacket off for moment, and don my train spotters anorak for a minute...

Technically, the MER pre-dates any US street/interurban cars. They stole the idea from us! The MER is the great grandfather of all tramways. The MER was the leading edge in tramway design in 1890s.

So we have railways and tramways here on the rock.

Manx Electric Railway - Snaefell Mountain Railway and the Douglas Horse trams are Tramways.

Isle of Man Railway, Groudle Glen Railway, the Orchard Line and Great Laxey Mines Railway are Railways.

While the Isle of Man is steeped in motorcycle history, its also famous around the world for its railways and tramways.

post-5476-1181376002_thumb.jpg

MER started in 1893

Electric Trams previewed at New Orleans World Fair in 1884

Richmond Virginia had a full service in 1888

However, Berlin (1881), St. Petersberg (1880) and Toronto (1883) had similar services.

I thought they were streetcars in the States, not trams or tramways?

tram is an old english word used to describe the wheeled trucks which ran in grooves and later on rails in the industrial north, such as mines etc, later horse drawn

US had first horse drawn trams in 1830's

Whilst at it, even under common ownership the MER, horse trams and the cable tram up broadway were never integrated. They were sold off separately after Dumbells bank collapse brought down the company.

What is supposed to be the difference between a tramway, a light railway, and a railway,

The horse trams are clearly trams, that is what they trade as, are known as and their historical derivation is clear.

It cannot be guage, there are many narrow guage railways and even on IOM the Marine Drive tramway was UK main line guage.

Is it what you call the vehicles that run on them, trains and carriages (but diesel rail cars), trams or cars. I think technically the units on the MER are cars, not trams any way

It cannot be how they derive power, ie from a trolley or overhead pick (pantograph) up or an electric rail as some trams are self propelled.

I think I am right. MER is a railway, albeit light on which rumn cars, not trams

The MER is a light railway, all tram ways are light railways but not all light railways are tram ways.

My undersatnding of the difference is that trams, for a substantial part of their distance, run along streets mixed with all other traffic whereas a light railway mainly runs on its own separate track. The MER, crossings apart runs on public roads next to nowhere, so it is not a tram way or tram system.

I had the same thoughts, John. Unless it is how you board and buy tickets for a train as opposed to a tram, possibly? A tram makes stops along its route like a bus and you can board and pay on board, whereas a train stops at stations and you board with a ticket?

Also trams run along existing roads.

Wiki says...

A tram, tramcar, trolley, trolley car, streetcar, or light rail vehicle[1] is a railborne vehicle, lighter than a train, designed for the transport of passengers (and/or, very occasionally, freight) within, close to, or between villages, towns and/or cities. The infrastructure along which a tram runs is a tram system (also tramway, street railway).

Streetcar is just the Americans coming up with another word for essentially the same thing. (Link)

trains too can run along roads ( if there are rails there ofcourse ) there was ( on plans anyway, not sure if it existed ) a siding that went along the quay in ramsey. trains running along roads are termed 'tramways' though trams not necessarilly the motive power.

Archived