Isle Of Man High-profile-life-line Websites

Addie

Being an off-island Manxie with family travelling to and from the island, I frequently access travel information, news and information from the island via the internet.

This TT period (and before), I have been struck by what appears to be, the state of almost total unpreparedness of some high profile company websites on the island.

Manx Radio website Frequently impossible to access and seemingly stuffed with problems and many of the promised links not working.

(See MF thread)

Isle of Man Steam Packet website Offering booking facilities that repeatedly timed-out after less than a minute when attempting to make sailing reservations. And then there is the lack of information and doubt regarding sailings.

See MF thread 1

and MF thread 2

Isle of Man Newspapers website also difficult to access on occasion.

Yes, I understand that these companies’ websites may not be their priority, but this raises some questions.

Why are some of the island ‘high-profile-life-line’ company websites so weak?

Didn’t anyone expect increased demand for news and travel information?

Didn’t anyone imagine that people would want to view webcams to see what was happening where? The DOT's webcams for example. To access Current Conditions took an absolute age.

Some of the organisations found wanting are in part financially supported by the residents of the island, so shouldn’t we expect excellence in return?

There has to be major internet talent on the island. Why isn’t it being used?

Maybe there’s room for a dedicated online news site that can offer first rate island information?

/ rant over (for now)

EuroManx website offered more reliable access if the options were fairly basic. What options were available seemed to work. When extra flights were arranged, they did call us to let us know. Full marks for that.

And of course we have the most excellent Manx Forums. If it wasn't for you lot, I wouldn't have had a clue what was happening at times, even if a lot of info came via the man in the beer tent.

Archived