[BBC News] Youths arrested in street brawl

Newsbot

It's pretty regular on a Friday / Saturday night to see 100+ kids hanging about on the prom in front of Quids Inn area.

I'm surprised there isn't trouble there more regularly.

I'm working in that area every weekend. The kids that hang around there don't normally do any harm at all. They're loud and lively, their language is pretty disgusting and I dare say that the sight of them grouped in such large numbers is intimidating to some.

I didn't actually see the incident described in the report, but my guess would be half-a-dozen or so yelling, shouting and possibly throwing a few punches while the others cheered them on.

Complaining about them isn't going to solve anything. Arresting them won't, either. It's high time that whole problem was examined with the intention of finding something that they want to do (not what we think they ought to be doing!) instead of simply leaving them to hang around like this. They need a suitable meeting place where they can chat, get refreshments, and not be a bother to others.

Perhaps the Corporation think it would be easier to put one of their shrieking devices on the Promenade?

Why can't they think of something to do themselves? Nobody tells me what I should be doing, and I'm not down the prom in a shell suit punching some greasy haired fellow chav because he looked at my girlfriends bottle of Stella the wrong way.

There is a big need for youth club facility for under 18s to gather, chat, and buy refreshments.

It really amazes me that this cannot be organised and run by the Dept of Ed as part of their Youth Service Scheme.

Pizza Hut (whereever/whenever it opens) will allow them at least somewhere to meet up etc.

There isnt even a bowling alley now, where they could go indoors and meet up etc.

Remember kids used to concregate inside the Cresent and also the Bowling Alley - both now gone.

Plus apparantly the goal nets in Nobles Park get taken down over the summer months - so there is nowhere to shoot ball now.

I know not all teenagers used those facilities, but lots did...hence they are now congregating on the prom.

It's high time that whole problem was examined with the intention of finding something that they want to do (not what we think they ought to be doing!) instead of simply leaving them to hang around like this.
Maybe we could be a large arena and we can all watch them fight to the death in safety for our entertainment. This would attract massive sponsorship from WKD and Burberry (Channel 4 would televise it), and by natural selection we could breed uber Chavs who could be used to repel come-overs.

Alternatively these little scrots could learn to do what we did after downing Merrydown we would channel our energy into a game of footy in the park \ street \ where ever. Oh no I am turning into Victor Meldrew.

Plus apparently the goal nets in Nobles Park get taken down over the summer months - so there is nowhere to shoot ball now.

Total arse we never had or need nets to play footy. Jumpers as goal posts, young lads in th park, casey footballs, ow they hurt, isn't it...

Total arse we never had or need nets to play footy. Jumpers as goal posts, young lads in th park, casey footballs, ow they hurt, isn't it...

But I dare say there would have been a whole host less "No Ball Games" signs around!

But I dare say there would have been a whole host less "No Ball Games" signs around!

There you go I find these signs make good goal posts. Kids today have it far too easy.

Archived