Coast

Gladys

Well Big Brother has jumped the shark this series, and Eastenders has been stuggling a bit since the return of the Mitchells, but these are mindless entertainment programmes, there is no pretense that they are anything different.

But Coast is simply moronic T.V. that presents itself as intelligent. It's like a Daily Mail "Birds of Great Britain" wallchart. Makes middle England feel all good about themselves because they can pretend it's improving, when really all their doing is enjoying the pretty pictures.

If they want to make trashy TV they should go ahead and make it, if they want to make intelligent and thought provoking television they should crack on. What I object to is when they attempt to passthe former off as the latter.

I agree.

A lot of this had little to do about 'Coast' as such. This series has dumbed down big time with just supposedly fascinating stories about places near the er, coast. Although there was something about basking sharks I suppose.

I like Coast. It doesn't pretend to be a serious geological survey; it's just interesting stuff, enthusiastically presented.
Young 'enthusiastic' presenters doesn't make for interesting TV. The Scottish chap to me, is a parody of a parody of Billy Connely See here for Scotsman - Youtube

Extra came across like a Father Ted creation ("Here's me with John Malkovich. And here's me with Rowan Atkinson..."); all he needed was a grubby t-shirt saying 'I Shot JR'.
This was nothing short of highly embarrassing for the Isle of Man Film Industry. The extras are supposed to sign a declaration not to fawn over 'celebrities'. The beauty of the Manx people is that in general they are pretty nonchalant about celebrity. There is always someone to wanker it up though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Extra came across like a Father Ted creation ("Here's me with John Malkovich. And here's me with Rowan Atkinson..."); all he needed was a grubby t-shirt saying 'I Shot JR'.
This was nothing short of highly embarrassing for the Isle of Man Film Industry. The extras are supposed to sign a declaration not to fawn over 'celebrities'. The beauty of the Manx people is that in general they are pretty nonchalant about celebrity. There is always someone to wanker it up though.

Ok, ok enough already! Give this poor guy a break! There are quite a few very famous actors who are brilliant on screen, but can't handle an interview being themselves. I don't really know the guy, but I have met him a few times while doing some extra work myself.

I find it endearing when someone is so passionate about what they do. And you could find this guy absolutely anywhere --- I don't think anyone from elsewhere would watch him and assume that that is what all locals are like. He was not the only one representing the Island don't forget. I think Butch was definitely the highlight and did a fantastic job and more than made up for our poor film extra being slightly geeky and nervous.

I thought it was good, the whole thing, some stunning aerial shots and even played a bit of Led Zep 'Kashmir'; that was me happy!

Very surprised they didn't mention the RNLI connection though, bearing in mind the whole series is about the coast and the RNLI must be such an intrinsic part of the history of the British coast.

Quite how they managed to get Butch though!?

Apparently they wanted Terry Cringle,but he's allergic to prawns!.

I thought it was good, the whole thing, some stunning aerial shots and even played a bit of Led Zep 'Kashmir'; that was me happy!

Very surprised they didn't mention the RNLI connection though, bearing in mind the whole series is about the coast and the RNLI must be such an intrinsic part of the history of the British coast.

Quite how they managed to get Butch though!?

Apparently they wanted Terry Cringle,but he's allergic to prawns!.

Hes also about as funny as herpes...

...GOMH*...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived