Mannin Line

GI James

If the Manninline has indeed gone or has been cut down to just one program on Sunday afternoon then I find it rather odd. There was a poll on the Manx Radio site which wanted opinions on whether to keep or ditch the Manninline and when I had voted the results appeared very much in favour of keeping it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but i dont see what the fuss is over.

I am new to this forum and find that it is a better source for local opinion than the Mannin line.

I listened to the mannin line for a couple of weeks (not through choice, i was out voted in the office) and found that it was the same complaints and comments everyday made by the same sort of people.

With the internet being avaliable to almost everyone i think that forums like this are the way to go.

ps Energy is much better to listen.

I am new to this forum and find that it is a better source for local opinion than the Mannin line.

Not everyone has internet access.

ps Energy is much better to listen.

It depends on your age group, if you're an old git like me then 3FM is better than Energy

Fair enough, not everyone has the internet access but the majority do. They are turning of the analoge TV signal when the majority of people have digital. Sometimes people are always going to lose out.

And we will have to agree to disagree on the best station!!

Sorry but i dont see what the fuss is over.

I actually quite like both the concept and content of the Mannin Line. Yes it was often the same people, spouting the same drivel. However, I think that the idea of having a platform to air your views on virtually any subject, with a fairly wide listener base is about as democratic as it gets.

IMO I think that people are perhaps more upset over the reasoning for the departure of a daily Mannin Line (i.e. the outside influences that may have had an impact) than actually mourning it's dissappearance.

If that makes sense.

I also actually agree with the concept but with it being on at the time it is then it is only going to be a few type of people who can tune in and put their point across.

It rules out:-

The young people of the island who are (or should be) in school.

Full time employees who are to busy working to listen.

I think if the Mannin line is needed then it should be at a time when a wider variety of people can contribute to it.

Which is why, I guess, there was a Sunday slot available, in addition to the regular weekday times.

Now with only the Sunday slot, the time will be restricted and, therefore, the amount of airtime give to Joe public, somewhat reduced.

But I agree that different times would perhaps allow more opportunity for others to contribute.

Another peek at their website.

I don't know if a Mannin Line type programme is there wearing a different hat (excluding Sundays) or not.

We were told to wait until Monday. What for? I'm no wiser now than at the end of last week.

What the hell is going on up there? Judging by the webcam, not a lot!

Are they keeping programme type and content secret or something?

Good points about it not generally being available to all because of timing. (ok for house wifes and retired folk sort of thing, at 12:00 to 1:00pm)

Wouldn't it be good to have a nightime phone-in - the Midnight Line.

Especially on a Saturday or Friday night! There used to be some right strange (read pished) post s on forums. Er, personally, I wouldn't dream of posting to a forum while tired and emotional, let alone phoning Manx Radio. But it would be good listening to others doing it.

Bernie Quayle gets some good telephone calls late at night.

Come on Manx Radio - get radical.

Mannin Line was the only thing I made an effort to listen to on Manx Radio. If that's gone then I think a number of listeners will also be gone.

Bit like when manx.net stopped the forums, I haven't been back to that site since then

I agree with that. 100%.

if you're an old git like me then 3FM is better than Energy
I sort of agree with that. But then again - I don't see the point of local radio as a source of music unless it's local music. Other stations do it better.

I could never understand the point of the John Moss business news on Manx Radio. It sounds like the Vague News which Mark 'n Lard used to do. And business people don't listen to it or find anything useful in it. So it is a complete waste of money and time.

And I always have to switch off for the stupid religious interludes. It's worse now than when Adventist World Radio and The Word For Today (From Unity) used to buy air time. I hope that the paid - for religious evangelical slots will be scrapped.

For music or non - Manx arts, I'd prefer to listen to a UK national radio station. Radio 4 and Radio 3 are excellent. And BBC Radio 3 is a hugely under - rated station. It plays fantastic jazz and international music. And who would choose Manx Radio over the BBC Radio 4 Today programme?

I don't see any point in Manx Radio broadcasting any non - Manx music programmes. I continue to believe that Manx Radio should only be about local news, local arts, the Manx language and local culture. I believe that the rest of the Manx Radio output should be programmed or franchised.

I see no point in Manx Radio trying to compete for listeners with Radio 2 or RTE. They might as well franchise Capitol Gold to fill in any programming which is not specifically about Manx Life. Who really wants to hear them (or 3FM) playing U2 or Simply Red? And who really wants to listen to Energy FM when Radio 1 does that kind of thing better?

However - if Manx Radio shifted 'Mandate' to 10AM and 2 PM so that it didn't compete (it doesn't compare and never will but could be more usefully timed) with Today or The World At One .... then that might start to make sense. Manx Radio should stop pretending that people listen to it 24/7. They should start positioning their programmes at times when the other stations are not broadcasting something better.

Who remembers the "Love Line" ?

Its certainly a hoot this topic!

About 9.45am some chap came on the rad, informing us of 40 years of Manx radio...jolly good,but when he started waffaling on about 2 world wars being fort , to maintain one's freedom of speech, and how the mannin line would survive...i thought he was scraping the barrel somewhat.

P.S Please excuse the grammer, but i simply cannot spell fort.The real one that is.

Archived