Food Prices Over Tt...

starchild

Energy FM

After hearing this on the radio, I just had to have a look.

Surely this can't be the case? :huh: I simply can't believe that no complaints were made regarding prices of food on the Island.

The venders might not have been doing anything wrong in the laws eyes but to charge such extortionate prices for food and drink should of been monitored better, as should most things on the Island.

Also, fair enough if the Government want to rip off bikers but why should they rip off locals for two weeks out of the year when they pay taxes into the Island all year to make the TT happen?

I don't think it's the government ripping anyone off, but the people owning/running the food vans & trailers that figure that they will still have tons of demand even at silly prices so why not cash in.

It was hard to resist, but I simply didn't buy any of it as it was grossly overpriced and I was grossly under-doshed so that solved the problem.

Fair point.

I think perhaps the venders / van owners, etc should be monitored and prices changed to make it fairer on the locals.

I feel that to live here all year, pay money in taxes here, there and everywhere to then be ripped off for two weeks for things like food, petrol, etc for something I helped pay for in the first place is a rather harse blow.

Before anyone asks, I do enjoy the TT on the whole and am not just nit picking for sake of it! :P

Petrol / Diesel wasn't any more expensive for me and my Tesco bill was a massive as ever.

So in short, I don't really know what your gripe is.

If you are referring to burger / greasy shite vans, then they will charge what they can get away with. You always have a choice don't you. And I would be willing to bet that similar vans / stalls at major UK events (i.e. pop festivals, BSB etc) will charge more.

So, no, I don't think there is / was a problem.

I like their new bulletin, about setting up a committee to look at the steam packets agreement.

I wonder though if there is any interest from other companies in having a shipping route over here.

I heard that each of the vans on the prom by the funfair had to pay something like £1300 to be there and £11 to get their bin emptied each time. I think a major issue here is why does the government/corpy/whoever hand out a licence to a private company to run that area of the prom when they could ensure much lower prices by regulating the area themselves and guard against profiteering - with any rental money going back into public coffers to pay for running the area. Even so, I think all of those vendors will be having a damn good holiday this year, and that some of them made many many thousands of pounds profit - particularly as some were running out of chip cartons etc. and couldn't get them from their local supplier at one time. IMO it is organisation like this that is fast killing the volume of traffic coming to the TT.

That said, there were a couple of reliable places in town that maintained 'reasonable' prices, though I did notice that prices had gone up practically everywhere I ate out.

Market forces my ar*e - there is no other word for it other than profiteering and it is practically a cartel if you checked around for the prices on the prom. IMO, the prom does need some form of official intervention to stop people being ripped off - otherwise we will get fewer and fewer visitors each year.

I like their new bulletin, about setting up a committee to look at the steam packets agreement.

I wonder though if there is any interest from other companies in having a shipping route over here.

I hope so and I hope they get someone else who's prices are more reasonable to come over too especially after having to fork out £180 for a one way ticket for a car+2 to come from Liverpool last week......

I'm sorry to shatter all your illusions. But if you think there is some mystical ferry operator out there willing to be the saviour of the Island, operate all year round with super fast craft, and do it all for bargain bucket prices, you really do live in cloud cuckoo land.

Wow, you had to pay a high price for travelling in the busiest week of the year. Now there's a shocker.

I hope so and I hope they get someone else who's prices are more reasonable to come over too especially after having to fork out £180 for a one way ticket for a car+2 to come from Liverpool last week......

They weren't high prices.

I booked a holiday to Ireland for April the 1st. I booked it well in advance, car+2 and it was that price. I wanted to go back to Ireland, tried a few dates and the prices are all pretty much the same, so the prices weren't particularly high for TT week

If the Steam Packet ever comes up for sale again, the government should seriously look into buying it. I know there's a million jokes that can be made about the government running anything, but really it's the only way that this essential service can be run with the money being pumped back into the service rather than into the pockets of shareholders. There's no chance another privately run company will come here - there's not enough profit for two companies. (There's actually only just enough profit for the one we have)

As for the food on the prom, try buying a disease burger from any burger van at any entertainment venue anywhare in the British Isles and you'll pay handsomely. The restaurants putting their prices up was something I hadn't noticed, but the only food I didn't cook over TT was two take outs from the Saagar, which were the same price as before TT.

A big round of applause from me goes to the kiosk on Peel breakwater. On mad sunday with Honda Day attactions running and 1000's of tourists a cup of tea was still only 80p. Good stuff.

Raising the prices of food in resteraunts, take outs, etc obviously did happen as a few places, Terrace Chippy for one actually felt it neccesary to put up signs stating that they had not put prices up for TT.

Moochers had a big sign outside as well - together with a picture of a certain MHK on a bike, doing a 100mph lap (impressive, actually..)

Only noticed a few prices, and they seemed ok - Harry's cafe: Full English 5 quid, Feegans's: normal prices (Bacon & Egg 1.50 I think). L'Experience had some Steak Special for 9 quid advertised at the camp site up the road - didn't check any of the prom prices - pointless to buy anything there if you live around the corner....

Archived