Food Prices Over Tt...

starchild

I'm sure there was a bit of profiteering going on. Think of holiday brochures.... same holiday.... same places........ same accommodation and meals. Different prices. When is the most expensive... when everyone wants to go away....... like school hols. Wonder if the resorts increase their prices in peak times... 'course they do. Market forces.....captive audience... no brainer. But for a place like the Isle of Man, repeat business is very important. Those who have "looked after" folk will get repeats. IMHO.

Well, I only ate down by the Tents once, and paid 3 quid for a hotdog (as opposed to 2.50 from the same guy any other time of the year) so considering their overheads (was more like 3 grand for a stall this year due to IOMG contracting the whole thing out to a UK company who in turn sub-contracted it back to Duke Video so I believe) it was not too bad.

some local pointed out that its £1.05 a gallon here most of the friggin time not just TT Week

I wish it was! :o

It's pleasing to hear about the people Roxanne mentioned, but sadly I suspect that sort of wholly reasonable (and non selfish) stuff is really pretty rare now.

It's pleasing to hear about the people Roxanne mentioned, but sadly I suspect that sort of wholly reasonable (and non selfish) stuff is really pretty rare now.

To be fair, a lot of the free viewpoints could easily be charged for and a lot of the land denied access to. Foodwise you're probably right, but that takes a lot more personal time and effort and I doubt most of us would spend our week doing it.

I like their new bulletin, about setting up a committee to look at the steam packets agreement.

I wonder though if there is any interest from other companies in having a shipping route over here.

there was a company a few years ago that wanted to start ferrying passengers to ramsey. but it was steampacket people that assessed the suitabillity/strength of the quayside and it was deemed not good enough. funny how it can take loaded containers though???

To be fair, a lot of the free viewpoints could easily be charged for and a lot of the land denied access to. Foodwise you're probably right, but that takes a lot more personal time and effort and I doubt most of us would spend our week doing it.

Good point.

I am just back from the TT.

Food prices were not too bad.

Chip shop next to the hilton is by far the best fish and chips in the world and worth the price.

£1 a pint in Legends bar. you cant go wrong.

Only place i was ripped off was the indian in Douglas round by the harbour, expensive, bad service, not good food.

No complaints here, see you next year

But there were no complaints about the 19 licensed traders who travelled to the Island for the duration of the Centenary festival.

What about some of the local traders? I heard a couple talk of prices of £6 for a burger on the Mountain. And £3 for chips!.... without cheese and gravy would you beleive!

If it was £11 for a burger they had to say it was £11 - so people could go elsewhere

John Peet, OFT

Not it you are stuck somewhere on the circuit, you can't.

I remember when Emerald Airways first arrived. Something like £48 for a return to Liverpool. At the time Manx would do it for around £64 no cheaper.

Everyone went 'hurrah' cheap fares! So manx brought their prices down to match Emerald. So people thought 'hmmm £48 for Manx, £48 for Emerald, I'll go with Manx as it's better aircraft.' So everyone flew Manx, Emerald went bust and Manx pushed their prices up again.

You prats. Typical of many in the Isle of Man (and probably elsewhere)

Commerce is all about supply and demand.

If you see a burger for £11 DON'T BUY IT! It would seem some people like to pay over the odds so they can grumble about it.

It's simple folks - don't pay if you don't agree. Take a picnic with you next time. Bring your own drinks.

Just to redress the balance somewhat..

3 fields, Senior race day. The same family in the same old green hut selling the most marvellous bacon baps for £1.50, tea and coffee for 50p and home made buttered fruit cake, bonnag and gingerbread for 50p a slice.

There must have been a couple of thousand people there - and I would estimate 85% were locals. The family who own the fields don't want to make a kiling. Just enough to see them with a bit of profit, do right by 'the visitors' and do their bit for the TT.

It's so good to see that kind of thing still happening and I'm sure it happens in fields all around the circuit.

You pays your money and all that.... :)

Are we talking about the legendary Cronk y Voddy cake hut here? I checked that out during the practices last year and had the best chocolate cake I've ever had in my entire life. I thought I'd dreamt it.

So good I bought the hut. In my daydreams.

As far as I could see, it was just the burger vans on the Prom who had the rip off prices - all over £3.00 for burgers! We stayed well clear of them.

The main chippys had the same regular high prices and small portions!

We always bring a picnic or small BBQ anyway.

Archived