The Steam Racket

Roger Smelly

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My average weekly shop costs more than it did three years ago.

Has your weekly shop gone up 46% in the last 3 years?

Also, we're not talking about 3 years ago. I said for the first 18 months I was here, which takes us up to 18 months ago, then for the second figure I was talking about the last 12 months, so a 6 month gap in between.

The price increase appears to me to be since the company changed hands. The whole degradation of the service is since the company changed hands. My impression of the SPC before this new company took over was very positive.

So was the SPC running at a huge loss before these guys took over, or are they just decimating the service in order to maximize profits, safe in the knowledge they have a captive customer base?

I'm just wondering if there is any aspect of the Racket that you wont defend

What a boring place it would be if everyone was of the same opinion.

Have prices for other goods and services not gone up? Of course they have. My point is valid. Whereby, you don't appear to have one.

What about the price of the sausage baps? they're indefensible!

Bah! You got me.......

Also, we're not talking about 3 years ago. I said for the first 18 months I was here, which takes us up to 18 months ago, then for the second figure I was talking about the last 12 months, so a 6 month gap in between

What has more than likely happened, is that you have purchased tickets spread over differing tariffs (which are published), and perhaps some on offers with others at full fare. Without direct comparisons, we have to accept your interpretation of price rises.

The foot passenger fare has started from £15 for many years now, which represents a significant price reduction when taken in 'real terms'.

The price increase appears to me to be since the company changed hands. The whole degradation of the service is since the company changed hands.

The Company has changed hands twice in the last few years, so what / who are you comparing against?

What about the price of the sausage baps? they're indefensible!

Bah! You got me.......

You don't buy food on the boat, if you did you would understand.

The foot passenger fare has started from £15 for many years now, which represents a significant price reduction when taken in 'real terms'. .

Have tried getting one at this price?

The price increase appears to me to be since the company changed hands. The whole degradation of the service is since the company changed hands.

The Company has changed hands twice in the last few years, so what / who are you comparing against?

The service has gone downhill since Seaco sold the company, that means both banks/investment companies are to blame, think about it, a bank/investment company is just out to make money, where a shipping company like Seaco will at least attempt to offer some kind of service while trying to run at a profit. Also Seaco being a shipping company itself could get it's hand on extra capacity very quickly, avoiding this years fiasco at TT week.

• 1 month later...

Once again the Steam - Rackett are at it trying to screw the local traveller off the boats. Only a week ago you could purchase a one day excursion ticket for 2 adults and 3 children for about £90 return. Now the same boat ticket (to Liverpool) would set you back £260. This is scandellous how can they get away with this day light robbery? I know its the holiday season, but to put up the price three fold is not fair to the poorer families who wish to get away for a day trip.

I think it is about time we had choice on this matter; for too long we have been ripped off by this monopoly. If we can introduce competition for the airlines, telecom, and banks etc, why is there no competition for the other main services; gas, electricity, and the steam packet? :angry:

That sounds really dear, I've just booked for my parents, 2 adults (surprisingly) + one car on the BMC for sept, heysham 5 day return, £176.00 + fuel surcharge. I thought that was quite reasonable. (Daytime crossings)

Once again the Steam - Rackett are at it trying to screw the local traveller off the boats. Only a week ago you could purchase a one day excursion ticket for 2 adults and 3 children for about £90 return. Now the same boat ticket (to Liverpool) would set you back £260. This is scandellous how can they get away with this day light robbery? I know its the holiday season, but to put up the price three fold is not fair to the poorer families who wish to get away for a day trip.

I think it is about time we had choice on this matter; for too long we have been ripped off by this monopoly. If we can introduce competition for the airlines, telecom, and banks etc, why is there no competition for the other main services; gas, electricity, and the steam packet? :angry:

That does sound steep, have you tried playing with the options on their booking system (like the am and pm drop down menus) sometimes that can alter the sailings and prices you can see.

Its no different than easyjet or ryanair, a month ago you get the base price, as the boat / plane gets more and more booked up the price rises, try going on a Saturday when liverpool and everton are playing and the price goes through the roof. Supply and demand.

Why did you not book when it was £90?

Is that your fault or theirs?

I think my biggest gripe with the steam packet is the difficulty you have trying to get tickets at the advertised special rates. It's all very well advertising a special price for a journey with the disclaimer "subject to availability" but you really do get the feeling that there's only one of these tickets per crossing to satisfy advertising regulations.

They were offering a good deal for the summer period, similar to the one grant mentions above. What they fail to mention in their advert is that it doesn't apply for two weeks in August because of the MGP. How difficult would it be to mention this in their advert so there's no confusion and I don't have to speak to three different sales drones before one of them actually explains why. It wouldn't make any difference to my plans as I'd already booked my holiday but it's frustrating to be a victim of the steam packet raping the bikers.

• 2 weeks later...

I rang the Steam Packet last week the day before travelling to add another person to my existing booking and was told that a new offer had come up which resulted in a refund of about £30, even after adding someone to the booking.

Worth a go ??

Archived