Alternative Mmos - Lotro Shadows Of Angmar

Beavercheese

Although obviously the world and its wife seem to be playing WOW with all of its delights and multitudes of high level players, has anybody bought and played:

Lord of the Rings Online - Shadows of Angmar ?

If so, any good? How does it compare to WOW, what's the community like etc etc etc etc

Although after playing WOW (although not owning it - long story - nothing illegal!) I was thinking of getting into this before Conan and Warhammer are both EVENTUALLY released...

If not, any DECENT alternatives of a similar nature ?

BTW, when I say alternatives I ALSO mean to WOW as not really interested in that !

(Before I get all the fanatics and suchlike!)

Played LOTR for about 2 weeks, got to lvl 20 and was really bored. I thought the combat was very slugish and the questing was not as good as i was expecting. The terrain and some of the areas are amazing and the whole world is huge.

The small part of the community i was involved in were bored of WOW and wanted a change, they still play LOTR but are waiting for the next big thing to come out.

I am really looking forward to Conan, Pirates of the black sea and also Warhammer. I still play WOW and we are working our way through SSC.

Guild Wars. And then the expansion packs.

Pro's: Lots to do

No monthly subscription fee (once you've payed for the game, you have unlimited use, the way it should be!)

Many players

Many skills/weapons/classes etc

Cons: Like all games of this type, if you want to get good, you have to put in time

But I suppose that is the point of a good game, you LIKE putting in the time.

If you are constantly just doing the the "Kill X amount of orcs/dragons/kittens and then return their steaming carcasses to Bob in town Y and you've forgotten where it bloody is" then it does sometimes become a grind, but at least if there are subtle differences or it constantly changes then you don't mind.

One of the reasons why I also wanted to try LOTRO SOA was so that not everyone is Lvl 100+ when you first join as well....But did also think about Guild Wars or Heroes and Villains etc

Archived