[BBC News] Health minister in £2m funds plea

Newsbot

I think John has settled that question admirably - so perhaps we can return to the original thread, and the excellent point being made by Gladys. If St Christopher's have been overpaid by the DHSS - to the extent that they are able to make a substantial 'donation' to their UK partners (our money, from our taxes etc being taken off the island) then it seems reasonable to assume that their budget was overestimated. Therefore, they should have either 1. returned the surplus to the department or 2. carried it forward to the next financial year so that the money required from the DHSS could be reduced.

It seems, however, that our political masters don't support this view - although not one of them has actually given a reason why they don't.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only people in the IOM who have problem are those with all 6 parents and grandparents Manx born. They do not qualify automatically for the right of residence or to work. I understand it is less than 2,000 people out of 80,000. What is more 5 years residence in UK solves the problem.

And why would they want to leave Peel?

I'm one of the 2,000

I don't think it's a question of "all 6 parents and grandparents Manx born" as some of mine weren't, but they weren't born in the "right" country for me not to have the stamp in my passport.

Also, I have no desire to reside in the UK for 5 years to solve the problem

PS to John, I haven't forgotten about the will questionnaire, will do it soon.

Archived