Island To Host G8 Conference?

copycat

talk is that Westminster mandarins have been sounding out whether the IOM Govt would like to "host" a G8 conference. Apparnetly theuy think it would be cheaper than doing it aain at Gleneagles and if on the IOM it would be easier to control demonstrators access etc.

Angle Merkel is the current G8 leader and is not happy at what the costs are turting out to be for staging the recent conference.

What with 14km of high security fencing etc they would be able to seal off Castletown, Janets Corner and the airport and restrict access to the Golf Links and Derbyhaven - perfect situation for Clarkson with such additional security so only global leaders could walk round his house.

Should tHe IOM Govt accept the suggestions and if so if the UK pays for the security how much on top should the IOM get out of acting as host?

Besides, doesn't it clash with TT week?

heh, what does that matter?

wouldn't you agree that the island has demonstrated its tremendous management and organisation skills in pulling off the TT centenary?? All we need is one or two [extra] German police and we're all set for any visitors. With the well intended and practiced Steam Packet delays and/or boat cancellations.. demonstrators may find it harder to get here too.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic actually. A couple of thousand extra traffic cones spread across key access roads... our 3 or 4 trained armed officers ready for the unlikely terrorist threat.. hey, I think I might even have a spare room for one of these Presidents/leaders! I'd only charge the humble homestay-price of £50 night. That's a bargain.

oh wait.. is this just a rumour? :huh:

The U.K. doesn't hold the presidency of the G8 again until 2013, so it seems a little bit early for "Westminster Mandarins" to be talking about where they're going to host it.

Is this a rumour you heard, or just one you made up on the spot?

The U.K. doesn't hold the presidency of the G8 again until 2013, so it seems a little bit early for "Westminster Mandarins" to be talking about where they're going to host it.

Is this a rumour you heard, or just one you made up on the spot?

I wonder if copycat's source has fed this story to someone he knows and whom he suspects to be copycat. He only has to wait for a thread about thie perposterous rumour to start, and his suspicions are confirmed.

Vinnie, the Mandarins are already far down the line of planning for the 2012 Olympics, so perhaps Copycat has a point?

*slaps own face and pours wine back into bottle for another day.*

The Olympics are a bit different though. Preparation for them requires a considerable amount of construction and redevelopment work, all of which takes years of time and planning. Also, in order to make an effective bid for the Olympics, the nation's competing for the chance to host it have to show firm plans years ahead of the date in order to convince the Olympic committee that their infrastructure and facilities are suitable.

Having said that our sales figures for commemorative spoons and creepy souvenir Manx Cat dolls could receive a much needed post-TT boost, appealing to both world leader and unkempt shouty teenage ideologues alike, so I'm all for it.

tHey shouldd hold round Ypour hosue.

yOu could use rthe exta mobey to get yoyur spelling and fingeyrs sorted.

.. asnd pay for the detxo proagam

x-in-man, how very cruel, she/he might be dyslexic. :o

Archived