Salman Rushdie

Chinahand

Rushdie's assailant has of course pleaded not guilty and will avail himself of the finest lawyers justice can buy. That's how soft we are. Knife in hand and hundreds of witnesses. The trial will cost six figures. If he'd have stabbed someone in a Muslim country he'd have been dead five seconds later. I'd have done the job myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Rushdie's assailant has of course pleaded not guilty and will avail himself of the finest lawyers justice can buy. That's how soft we are. Knife in hand and hundreds of witnesses. The trial will cost six figures. If he'd have stabbed someone in a Muslim country he'd have been dead five seconds later. I'd have done the job myself.

*sigh*

We, and most other developed nations, have a legal system for a very good reason.  The assailant should face trial under the relevant legal system and if that means he can avail himself of lawyers then that is also okay.

To abandon our legal systems would make us no better than those who you despise.

Killing this assailant would simply make him a martyr for others who hold an extremist view.

I still don't agree with your view on this being a result of "wokery".  Unfortunately many religions, or even cultures, contain extremists.  

Religious indoctrination has a lot to answer for.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The point is that treating this fruitcake with due process safeguards your rights to the same thing.

After the event. It doesn't protect me from 'fruitcakes' (Are you sure that's the right word ?) though does it. It didn't protect Rushdie. It's an end process. Our justice system isn't protecting our freedoms and culture any longer. That's my point. It's only security and surveillance that's protecting us from 'fruitcakes'.  

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

After the event. It doesn't protect me from 'fruitcakes' (Are you sure that's the right word ?) though does it. It didn't protect Rushdie. It's an end process. Our justice system isn't protecting our freedoms and culture any longer. That's my point. It's only security and surveillance that's protecting us from 'fruitcakes'.  

As the Fatwa proposes, "Whoever is killed in this process shall be a Martyr" and they love their martyrs!

54 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Of course the due processes of law only take place after the event.

IMHO you are mixing up deterrence with the justice system.

Before the rise of militant Islam the thinking was that lethal force was the final option of deterrence. As these zealots don't care about their outcomes that's no longer true. So our only protection is intelligence in it's various guises.

Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to detect "lone wolf" attackers like Breivik, Abedi and the shit that attacked Rushdie.

I wonder if there was any security at the venue...?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quilp said:

*yawn*

The below from P.K. is spot on.  The Criminal Justice system is far from perfect but it is part of our society and in particular part of the way we believe that Justice should be done.

Remove the protections for one individual and you remove them for everyone.  

You might be sat there thinking it won't impact on you as you are not a criminal but God (or any other imaginary diety) help you if you are wrongfully accused because unless you have a lot of savings or qualify for legal aid you are going to be up against the state who will throw all sorts of resources at the case.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

The point is that treating this fruitcake with due process safeguards your rights to the same thing.

I just don't understand how certain people miss that fact...

• Like 2