Blocklayers, The Prison And The Dti

feelslikeitshould

It is refreshing to see this issue discussed in an open format the DTI is currently out to consultation on this issue. The federation is asking for as many comments as possible on the proposals (which can be found on www.gov.im/dti/construction ). Please e-mail me directly on l.furniss@employersfederation or contact Steve Woodward of the DTI.

All comments welcome!!!

Louise

My real gripe is why they have been allowed Work Permits in the first place. The DTI have, up 'til now, maintained that Work Permits aren't to be given to construction workers working on Government schemes who aren't covered by at least one of the crafts under the scheme.

That just isn't the case. I wouldn't mind betting there have been thousands of permits issued for people working on construction sites, who are not certified craftpersons. The need to be registered under the Certification Scheme only applies to those persons employed in one of the 13 trades. So if someone were to employ a 'groundworker' or 'labourer' they would not, and indeed could not be certified, as there is no category, therefore, the WP is considered in it's own right.

As I've said, blocklaying is not part of the scheme so why are have the Poles even been allowed to come here to work?

For exactly that reason......They have been employed in a trade not covered by the Craftsmen scheme, therefore, they are considered for a WP without that caveat. That is the very loophole trying to be closed, by the DTI trying to add this as an official category. Also preventing this......

As well as that, they aren't certified or registered.

So surely you should be supporting this move? Which would require these people to register and prove their status in the trade.

I think the Employers Federation has a useful role, the brickies I know of who are aware of this happening and strongly oppose it, wouldn't have known unless the they'd been told by the Fed.

Agreed - they should be a conduit for information.

With regards to training on the island for a blocklayers certificate, I was told that by someone who have spoken to the DTI about it in the last few days.

I think you have found more sauce than source. It is untrue.

This whole affair stinks and lets be realistic. Some clever """"" found a loophole in the system and decided that blocklaying was not part of bricklaying (when is a block a block and a brick a brick) in order to avoid Government rules and regulations, nothing more nothing less.

It is a shame that the same rules didnt apply to a local company six years ago. A well known building subcontractor was used by a local company to build the blockwork on a Government contract. The Sub Con had been carrying out brickwork incl blockwork for in excess of 25 years on the Island but had never been certified as a bricklayer. This building which was constructed totally of blockwork was commended by the Architect as being the best blockwork he had ever seen and it was a shame that it was to be rendered. Enter the DTI "get this subcon off site he is not Certified" Builder refused. Outcome official warning that if this Builder breached the rules again he would be removed from the Approved Contractor list and would not be able to carryout any works funded out of the public purse.

Or agree that the two roles are in essence covered by the one title.

That's the simplest way out as long as you're a time served bricklayer there shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure that apprentice bricklayers have to lay blocks during their apprenticeship.

Archived