Family History Exhibition

DjDan

For all those who are interested in their genealogy, there will be a fantastic oppurtunity coming soon that may be able to help boost your efforts so far, or spark your interest and commitment again!

An exhibition called "Family Search on the Road" will be open to the public from Thursday 5th July -- Saturday 7th July; held at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, Woodbourne Road, Douglas.

This exhibition is open free, and everybody is welcome. It is there for you.

At this stage, we hope to have it available at the following times:

Thursday 5th - 14:00-21:00

Friday 6th - 10:00-21:00

Saturday 7th - 9:00-16:00

(but these times may change slightly - and I will give confirmation over the next few days)

fsotr2.jpg

A major free family history exhibition with over one billion names available for research is now operating throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland from January 2007 (see next venue below).

Called Family Search on the Road, the exhibition features displays, free to use computer terminals, and state of the art software linked via satellite to the world’s largest genealogical database. Family Search on the Road will be popular with anyone interested in researching their own family tree.

Church spokesperson David Fewster said:

“We are delighted to be bringing this wonderful exhibition to to the UK. 2007 is the 170th anniversary year of the arrival of the first Mormons in the British Isles. During those 170 years countless members of the public have helped us in our quest to identify our ancestors. We now want to repay their kindness by helping others to use the database and build their family tree too. This exhibition is free for all to use and enjoy, particularly for those who have wanted to start their family history research but have not got around to it.”

Hope to see many of you there.

B)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great marketing idea! Put together family history databases and get everyone interested in their family history (statistically usually close families) to turn up at the Mormon church.

Watch out for the silver 'programming' helmets and the Swedish and American messengers though! Viruses are getting much cleverer these days and immune to many modern day cures.

Why does your church have a database with 1 billion names on it?

They believe that families are spiritually bound with a 'sealing' that's carried over into the afterlife, it's one of the key differences between them and mainstream christian religions. A LDS wedding will say something like 'for all time' instead of 'until death do us part' for example.

I guess if you're doomed to spend eternety with your boring rellies, you'd be quite interested in finding out who they are :)

Are there going to be any of those fit birds who always come knocking on your doors to see if you want to find out about their religion????

Phwoar!! Fit Birds?!?! I should coco! Blimey, I'd answer her prayers anyday!!!!! Lummee! look sharp, here comes Blakey!

And to think people actually buy DVDs of On The Buses when they could just come here for free.

Can we trace our families all the way back to Adam and Eve, and their incestous offspring?

All them got wiped out in the flood...so you can only get back as far as Noah and his incestous offspring...which going by the latest American creationist museum is around about the same time the dinosaurs and Fred Flintstone were around.

They believe that families are spiritually bound with a 'sealing' that's carried over into the afterlife, it's one of the key differences between them and mainstream christian religions. A LDS wedding will say something like 'for all time' instead of 'until death do us part' for example.

And I will give thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Behold, I give unto you power, that whatsoever ye shall seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven; and thus shall ye have power among this people.

And I will give thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Behold, I give unto you power, that whatsoever ye shall seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven; and thus shall ye have power among this people.

Aw look at the religious guy quoting from the bible as if it's some kind of proof. That's proof of nowt mate :)

Most christians would say those passages are relating to sin rather than marriage/relationships. Doesn't the bible specifically say elsewhere that you wont be married in heaven?

Archived