Family History Exhibition

DjDan

^

As you will note, I'm not doing any preaching here. I have merely announced the occasion, and answered one brief remark about our belief in eternal marriage. I have also chosen to ignore all the silly comments being made in this thread, and ignored an invitation to debate scripture...

so no. I'm keeping things pretty simple really.

If you are interested in family history... here's an exhibition for you.

If you're not... then may I suggest this isn't for you, and your criticisms and mockings won't get you anywhere in this thread.

You may also like to know, that we have a permament "Family History Library" here at our church, which is attended regularly by members of the public during the week. It is there as a resource for the public to carry out their research (free of charge) and in peace. It is attended by those who are interested in their genealogy.

Again, this is merely an invitation for those who are interested. This kind of exhibition will really help.

If you want the preaching, we have the missionaries on the street and at your doorstep!!! (as you well know). This exhibition is family history.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you didn't answer the question by Declan perhaps you could answer mine - How does your 'roadshow' obtain such details, potentially about my family? Is it just from public records? I'm half Danish - does your database extend globally or just in the UK/US?

Valid questions.

How does your 'roadshow' obtain such details, potentially about my family? Is it just from public records? I'm half Danish - does your database extend globally or just in the UK/US?

I do not personally know the answers to these questions, but I have looked around and found the following. It may help clarify things a little.. at least I hope it does (first one is for Declan):

Q:

Why do members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints trace their family history and do genealogical research?

A:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints emphasizes the importance of family relationships and believes that families can be united in the most sacred of all human relationships—as husband and wife and as parents and children—in a way not limited by death. Through priesthood authority from God, marriages are performed in temples. These marriages can continue throughout this life and for all eternity. In addition, children are "sealed" to their parents, meaning that their relationship to their parents will continue even after death. In order to give these same blessings to their deceased ancestors, Church members seek information about their ancestors to be able to perform marriages and sealings on their behalf. These ancestors may then choose to accept these sacred rites.

Q:

What kinds of records are in the Family History Library?

A:

The Family History Library contains a variety of records that can help with family history and genealogical research. First there are vital records; these include birth, marriage, and death records from both government and church sources. The library collection also includes census returns; court, property, and probate records; cemetery records; emigration and immigration lists; printed genealogies; and family and county histories. The Family History Library’s computer system also contains several large databases, some with millions of names. They include the Ancestral File, the Pedigree Resource File, the Vital Records Index, and the International Genealogical Index. You can access these databases on the Internet at www.familysearch.org. The Family History Library’s collection concentrates on records of deceased persons who lived before 1930. All records are obtained legally with the approval and cooperation of the government and local authorities who have jurisdiction over the records.

Q:

How does the Family History Library obtain records?

A:

Some records are donated to the library by individuals, families, and genealogical societies. Other records, such as the Social Security Death Index, U.S. Census Records, or published family and county histories, are purchased. Most of the library’s collection has been filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Currently, microfilmers of the Society are filming important records in over 40 countries.

Would just like to say that I have used the Family History Centre (at the Mormon Temple) on several occassions here in South Lancs, the staff are very friendly and helpful and not once do they talk about their beliefs etc.

I do not have a religious bone in my body and was very wary about going, the facilities they have are fantastic and FREE!, though at our local centre you have to apply for manx records and for some unknown reason one of the reaseachers thought they were kept with the Irish records! I am long overdue a visit as I have put my tree on hold, just wish I could get back to the island for the roadshow.

I'm with you here, Roxanne, DJ could have really ripped the piss out of the forum police, who thought that the church were only doing this to grab 10% of the earnings of one billion dead people.

Very admirable that he bit his tongue, ( restrained his finger) bet he was tempted though!

I recon anyone who posts with Jesus as his avatar is pretty much opening themselves up as fair game.

aye, by the same logic.. anyone who hates star-wars should come and criticise you for it. I'm sure you'd be happy to take their every mocking and agro, and thereafter.. every criticism they have about anything to do with sci-fiction in general.

I have largely ignored the irrelevant comments in this thread, but I thought you might like to know how I decided to have Jesus as my avatar. Well.. that was down to the mods!! As soon as they realised I was a christian, they changed my avatar to a pic of Jesus with guns and a bullet belt around his chest. I guess they thought that a pretty mature and funny thing to do.

Well, I merely continued their humour and changed their Jesus avatar to this present one. It seems they want me to have a Jesus avatar, so I thought.. why not? What's funny now, is how so many are upset and irritated by the avatar I now use. You've only got our moderators to thank for that one.

:D

Anyway, glad to see people have had some positive experiences in furthering their family history. If you take the time to attend this exhibition, we will have people on hand to help you (as much as we can) in your progress. It's worth a visit at least.

Archived