Family History Exhibition

DjDan

My better half has been researching her family tree for quite some time - very successfully - and has found the LDS site exceptionally useful. She tells me that anyone who's serious about genealogy ought to be extremely grateful that this information is available - free and with no strings attached. Whatever we might think of the Mormons, this is an incredible resource.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My better half has been researching her family tree for quite some time - very successfully - and has found the LDS site exceptionally useful. She tells me that anyone who's serious about genealogy ought to be extremely grateful that this information is available - free and with no strings attached. Whatever we might think of the Mormons, this is an incredible resource.

You can't argue with it being an interesting resource.

However, I am always sceptical when people say they have traced their family history back to 1792 or whatever. Do you really believe that: all of those people were squeaky clean and there were no 'affairs' along the bloodline; that there were no women that got pregnant and later married someone who was not the father; no daughters that got pregnant and went away or got mum to say 'this is your new little brother' and brought the child up to hide what had really gone on; and that rape and incest are modern concepts? I don't think so.

I think people would end up pretty shocked if they could find out the 'real truth' in their family history. The only true way of finding out the truth would be via a DNA database.

Albert, I have indeed traced my paternal line back to around 1780ish (was a while ago and can't remember exactly) and I did find a court case involving one of my great-great (etc) Aunts who worked at the big house just after the crossroads at St. Judes heading North (The Craig maybe?). Anyways she was in court for the heinous crime of having illegitimate twins at the age of 14 :o

The young master of the house sent his mate along to admit that he was indeed the father but nothing ever became of that as far as I could find out. I got a copy of the Presentments from the Museum with all this info on it. Who knows if she was willing or not back in the day?

• 2 weeks later...

*BUMP*

Just a reminder

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Family History Exhibition <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

is taking place this week. For those people out there who are interested in starting or progressing your research, this is a fantastic oppurtunity to reveal your family tree. Perhaps like me, you'll find that your own middle name goes back generations!! (or something way more interesting!). Discover the birth place of your ancestors.. the communities which they were a part of.

The opening times have been confirmed as:

Thursday 5th - 2:00pm - 9:00pm

Friday 6th - 10:00am - 9:00pm

Saturday 7th - 9:00am - 4:00pm

4komt04.gif

This is a one-off opportunity. If you're interested, be there! :P

*BUMP*

Just a reminder

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Family History Exhibition <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

is taking place this week. For those people out there who are interested in starting or progressing your research, this is a fantastic oppurtunity to reveal your family tree. Perhaps like me, you'll find that your own middle name goes back generations!! (or something way more interesting!). Discover the birth place of your ancestors.. the communities which they were a part of.

The opening times have been confirmed as:

Thursday 5th - 2:00pm - 9:00pm

Friday 6th - 10:00am - 9:00pm

Saturday 7th - 9:00am - 4:00pm

4komt04.gif

This is a one-off opportunity. If you're interested, be there! :P

er looking at the location does that mean I will be approached by some religious type asking me starnge coded questions about God and taking mutiple wives etc and who probably should go back to the USA and canvas support for his church in Dearborn Michigan?

heh, ya... it's in a church. Congrats for noticing that one.

But no... it's just family history! Of course.. the people there running it will be religious, but it's not a religious occasion.

Last day today!! Saturday: 9:00am until 4:00pm.

We have had a fantastic turnout so far... far more than we expected. We have 8 computers available (satellite linkup) but yesturday, people were queing to use them. For that reason, if you are planning on attending today, don't leave it until the last minutes. You may be lucky and find no delay, but you may also find yourself waiting a little before a computer becomes available! In times of queing, we are trying to make 'fair' use of the computers though.

Come on down. Free use of computers with free printing. This is a family history occasion.. not a religious occasion. I'll be there most of the day from 9:00am.

cheers.

Archived