Where Is Ripe For Development?

Gladys

Rading a new thread posted by Copycat re the Douglas Golf Club, it made me wonder where you think houses should be built. We have the tension of a housing shortfall (and no debate about affordable housing as this is just a general question) and most people, including me, not wanting to see the ever ending creep outwards into the green spaces. But where should new houses be built?

Take the Golf Course, for example, I don't really want to see any green areas built on, but if the choice is to build there rather than south of the Spring Valley roundabout, then build on! It is an area sandwiched between two relatively high density housing estates and is within a notional Douglas housing boundary, if you draw a perimeter marked by the Old Castletown Road, leading on to the 'ring road' past B&Q and down to Braddan church.

I am in favour of re-developing brownfield sites within Douglas, but the real headache is parking and most brownfield lends itself to apartments, rather than houses.

So where would you point developers, necessary evil that they are?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So where would you point developers, necessary evil that they are?

The boat?

Redevelopment has to be the key, places like christian road, tynwald road etc are pretty dire, something needs to be done there.

Jurby.

Theres plenty of land up there but for some reason people don't like the area or can't be bothered driving 1/2 an hr or so to work each day.

Daft really as I'm sure there many people in the UK would kill for a house in the countryside with only a short drive to work and pay a lot of money for the privilege.

You are right Celt, but the thing is after a while of living on the island, your perception of space shrinks to IOM standard.

My normal driving time to work when living in the UK was about half an hour (covering a lot less miles than here in the same time) , and I used to regularly drive all around to go to meetings, Cardiff was a regular venue from south London. But being back here, I start worrying about how I will get to, say, Mount Murray, in early time, from Farmhill!

I don't think you're giving the skyscraper idea the consideration it deserves.

It's merits are clearly demonstrated by the following, professionally produced and entirely unbiased images:

douglas2007.jpg

Douglas as it is now - Rubbish.

douglas2008.jpg

Douglas as it should be - Ace.

Of course, my proposal involves drawing in enough foreign residents for the population to swell to 7.3 million in a year, but that's by the by. The point is it looks cool.

It is at least suggestive of a serious point, in so much as building "up" is an option. I'm not suggesting vast tower blocks, but why not replace some of the existing housing stock with apartment buildings of five stories or so? There's plenty of dilapidated buildings around Douglas that have been (poorly) converted into flats, which would provide a good location to start building purpose built, affordable apartments.

(1) Bring life back into the towns rather than building on new sites

(2) Take the radical step of considering space as 3D: the reason the UK has such an urban sprawl is that people are fixated on houses. It's far more economical in both space and energy to live in apartments.

(3) Improve public transport infrastructure thereby reducing reliance on cars. Again, it's far more economical in space, energy and money. For times when a car is required, taxis, rental cars or one of those car pooling schemes could bridge the gap.

Archived