Mr Countryside

Gladys

I often listen to MR on the way home from work and then, at home, as I am preparing dinner. This evening, the 6.00 slot was Howard Caine's Countryside where he often takes a little amble around the Manx countryside with an informed guest. Tonight was a walk from Sulby Valley up towards the dam (that is what it sounded like, as I missed the first bit).

There were lots of points of interest: native oak, a river deposited scree, sundew, etc. etc. And I thought that would be a nice walk one day but don't have the first clue of exactly where it is. Rather than listen to the archive on the MR website with a map to work out the route, it would be good if MR put a map of the walk on their website identifying the places of interest referred to in the programme so that those who would like to see it for themselves, can. Perhaps they could team up with MNH or the Manx walkers people who arrange the walking festival to build up a database. There may be websites that lay out such walks but it is the commentary from MR that whets the appetite. I also acknowledge that some of the walks are not public so may be a privileged tour.

I had a quick shufty on the MR website and couldn't see something like a map, but I know some MR chappies look in here from time to time and so I make the suggestion through this forum rather than text MR.

MR put a map on their web-site - not to mention the extra expense (what's the O/S copyright cost) and who would do it and what income does it generate OMG also think of where their map might actually get you to walk (sometimes ? they don't get the news 100% do they so just think how accurate their maps might be (or not).

Surely it would be a better idea for Howard Caine to do something for MNH / Dept of Tourism so that visitors could buy an MP3 download with an accompanying map.

Whatever, Copycat, I just would like to know where these walks are and I am sure many others who listen would too. There may be all kinds of techincal problems why not, (doesn't have to be an OS map, but a hand drawn thing would do to show you what is what) but I am putting it forward as a constructive comment.

There are books on Local walks you can get fron the local bookshops if that helps.

There are quite a few if i remember.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your walks out :D

Manx Radio's website used to have a list of all the people who worked there, complete with phone numbers and e-mail addresses so I was going to suggest dropping a line or two - but the new site only seems to a very abridged version!

Pity, really, as I think it seems like a good idea. Perhaps try the suggestion with chriswilliams@manxradio.com ?

Archived