[BBC News] Rail spend justified - minister

Newsbot

"We reckon there are about 33,000 passengers who use the Manx Electric Railway - I think that's a pretty pleasing number," said Mr Earnshaw.

That's £48.48 per passenger.

"There's an awful lot of local people who take a trip or more than one trip a year for leisure purposes - as well as our visitors.

"It's pretty well a must for visitors to have trip on the steam railway and Manx Electric Railway."

Does he think we're stupid, if only 33,000 people use it each year, and this includes locals who use it one or more times, it can't be a must for tourists. Unless we only have, say, 25,000 tourists a year. In which case why does it need a special department?

I'm not saying it is wrong to revamp the line. Just that if he's asking for that amount of money he needs to stop treating the public like idiots who'll just listen to him quote a few numbers and go "that's alright, then!"

we can't afford proper breast screening or a health centre in kirk michael, but we can blow 1.6 mil on a pointless train set.

I couldn't agree more. Its about time money was allocated on the basis of priority not frittering away funds on crap projects.

Are Kirk Michael's breasts at a statistically higher risk than elsewhere then?

This sort of thing annoys me when they need more money in the health service. Scrap the line I say and give the money to a worthy cause.

It's not a case of which os the most worthy cause though is it? There is going to be a surplus again, the Gov. departments are underspending on the whole, the DHSS has already had it's budget increased for 2007 - 2008 and they will most likely get more to tackle some of the 'problems' in the health service. So I don't really see the problem. Unless what everyone is saying is that tax payers money shouldn't be being spent on these apparently necessary improvements to the tracks.

I have no doubt that they can afford the things that need to be done to better the breast screening services and offer KM a medical centre etc. but it's more a question of how they are going to use that money best and establishing if it actually needs to be spent. Mr. Earnshaw has obviously done a better job presenting his case on the behalf of his department than the other Ministers who want more cash. Have a word on your MHK!

Archived