[BBC News] New maternity rights for island

Newsbot

Oh do make up your mind wont you.

The thought of placing three month old babies into full time care is horrifying to me. Why bother having them if you can't spare the time to look after them?

Oh do make up your mind wont you.

The thought of placing three month old babies into full time care is horrifying to me. Why bother having them if you can't spare the time to look after them?

But this move will surely lead to less 3 month old babies being cared for by third parties won't it? It should get them up to and beyond 6 months.

This is only providing that employers hold the job for 26 weeks, not that they pay anything other than the statutory minimum maternity allowance (which is reclaimable from Govt). So the economic imperative of returning to work will still remain.

The employer has to hold your job open for that period or at least give you a role at an equal level to that which you left.

I would be inclined to agree with Keyboarder's inferrence that childcare on the island is indeed lacking - it was certainly something I found very challenging to find and also expensive to fund once I found it and I was (admitedly by my own assessment) very organised about it and planned well in advance.

This is only providing that employers hold the job for 26 weeks, not that they pay anything other than the statutory minimum maternity allowance (which is reclaimable from Govt). So the economic imperative of returning to work will still remain.

Easy tiger!

There are lots of incentives to get mothers back to work, for a single mother, it is probably more cost effective to wait until they start pre-school or school. For couples or high earners it is probably better for the mother to return to work. Of course, one of you can work all the hours god sends and be stressed and tired and still only just getting by, or you could both work, making you both happier, making baby happier too. Or your family could thrive in that situation. Horses for courses and all that!

I was (am) a single mother and did not have the option to wait to return or I would have lost my home (divorce... mortgage now my responsibility) Thank the lord for FIS. However it was breadline britain for some years to come and I just about broke even on a monthly basis with very careful financial management.

There is no getting away from it - it was hard and I did find support lacking.

Archived