Have A Nice Day

Albert Tatlock

Has anyone else noticed just how many people are starting to say 'Have a nice day' in shops etc. ??

I noticed this a few times on the island during TT, and even the gas man said it to me this morning. I hate how we adopt this meaningless American clap trap. A simple 'goodbye' will do me thanks.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm inclined to agree that it's an annoying thing. If they say what sounds like a genuine comment then great but to use that robotic phrase is a bit pants. Probably some are genuine but you might not know because of the raping of the phrase.

I would far people remembered to use basic manners/courtesy like please & thankyou of their own accord (when they ask for your money in a shop for instance), than use some crap americanism because they've been told to say.

I hate it when people just say (for example) "12.50", instead of "That's 12 pounds 50 please" (including the pence bit is just silly obviously. :P).

I would just be grateful if the till lady said anything to me at all...... she's usually chatting to her mate when she drops my change on the counter :-(

Pleases, thank yous, good day/morning/afternoon/evening/night and not at all, or my pleasure may be empty noises, but they are part of the form of language and civility in society.

I wish peole would use them. I agree have a nice day is an unecessary US import.

I really like the regional variations dear, love, duck, etc. I don't want to see them disappear

They should be just as automatic, and meant as bonjour, ca va and au revoir or prego or por favor or de nada or danke and bitte.

I agree till operators who try and engage me in chat or insist on chatting to their next door operator are becoming a bane. It is poor training

I agree till operators who try and engage me in chat ...... are becoming a bane. It is poor training

I didn't know that you could train to be psychic and predict whether your customer is up for a chat or not. Hmmm

Or do you approach the till with a malevolent glare hoping that they'll pick up on your body language?

I agree till operators who try and engage me in chat ...... are becoming a bane. It is poor training

I didn't know that you could train to be psychic and predict whether your customer is up for a chat or not. Hmmm

Or do you approach the till with a malevolent glare hoping that they'll pick up on your body language?

You could train them if the customer doesn't remove his earphones he is probably not up for a chat. Don't mind them talking to each other whilst serving me, provided it doesn't slow them down.

Why should they think I want to listen to them in the first place. It is their lack of training and confidence that makes them want to fill the silence with noise. It is nothing to do with my attitude.

Aaaaah dont get me started on customer service!! These days you dont get anything as the teller is chatting to their mate and completely ignoring you - and so you get used to this kind of robatic way of just not exchanging any words - I do always say hello, thank you etc - just because it's a natural reaction really. Nowadays I do tend to choose the self service tills!

Saying that though in my local tescos the staff are really nice and always chat to you - I like that when people talk to you.

The "have a nice day" thing doesnt really have the same ring to it when spoken in monotone sarcasam by a sulky teenager with lip ring!

I think the Americans should keep their have a nice day and the British/Manx should think of their own unique goodbyes - wonder what they would be........over to you lots!

The thing is, you've not gone in there for a chat. You've gone in to buy something. I just want to conclude the transaction and get on with something more interesting really. Hello, please, thanks, goodbye are really all the words I need or want.

I was in one shop near to me buying everyday stuff like bread or milk and on two seperate occasions, and with two different members of staff, I was asked me if I was going on holiday this year and if I had any plans for the weekend. They're not my friends, I dont want to engage in small talk with them but I'm still obliged to give them some sort of curt answer.

There's nothing wrong with a polite exchange of civilities, but please just leave me alone to get on with my day.

Archived