Have A Nice Day

Albert Tatlock

I was in one shop near to me buying everyday stuff like bread or milk and on two seperate occasions, and with two different members of staff, I was asked me if I was going on holiday this year and if I had any plans for the weekend. They're not my friends, I dont want to engage in small talk with them but I'm still obliged to give them some sort of curt answer.

There's nothing wrong with a polite exchange of civilities, but please just leave me alone to get on with my day.

"Here he comes, Mavis! Just ask him where he's going on his hols. You won't believe how much it winds him up!"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I can't go on holiday as my wife is terminally ill and I have to care for her full time. This causes me severe bouts of depression, causing me to break down regularly, and my doctor has advised against being out of his supervision for too long. Also, I'm scared of hotels."

Why should they think I want to listen to them in the first place. It is their lack of training and confidence that makes them want to fill the silence with noise. It is nothing to do with my attitude.

[The thing is, you've not gone in there for a chat. You've gone in to buy something. I just want to conclude the transaction and get on with something more interesting really. Hello, please, thanks, goodbye are really all the words I need or want.

I was in one shop near to me buying everyday stuff like bread or milk and on two seperate occasions, and with two different members of staff, I was asked me if I was going on holiday this year and if I had any plans for the weekend. They're not my friends, I dont want to engage in small talk with them but I'm still obliged to give them some sort of curt answer.

There's nothing wrong with a polite exchange of civilities, but please just leave me alone to get on with my day.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people who do want a chat and who find it to be a highlight of their shopping experience - a least back when I worked in Shoprite anyway. *edited to say, not that I'm inferring that I'm a great conversationalist or anything*

You two are just grumpy sods.

I think it's an awful erosion of our customs and a frightening infringement of those civil liberties pertaining to our inalienable right not to be wished to have a nice day, and, as such, deserves to be stamped out with an iron jackboot.

In an ideal world all shop staff would conclude any transaction with a stirring rendition of Land of Our Birth, in Manx.

Nothing wrong with exchanging a few common courtesies when out shopping, including "Have a nice day" when genuinely expressed. I happily walk a few hundred yards more to get my groceries from a store where the assistant smiles and says 'good morning' to me, rather than use the closest shop where the assistant sees me as an inconvenience and practically throws my shopping through the barcode reader.

Archived