Have A Nice Day

Albert Tatlock

'Your welcome' in response to a Thank-you.

It often turns out to be a 'yurwlek'.

Its not welcome, its bloody annoying - you've just been told to say it buy some half baked Americanised 'consultant' while you were on a 'meet you cutomer' in-service training jolly.

Don't do it people - as a smack in the gob often offends.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do get very irritated by 'have nice day' but I do appreciate please and thank you and always respond in kind. I agree with John that the regional variations in address should be retained and valued; I used to live in the northeast of England (lovely, lovely place) where bus drivers, shopkeepers etc use the terms 'pet' or 'flower'. I don't get buses very often, but when I do I always thank the driver for stopping - does anyone else do this?

The whole have a nice day thing drove me MAD in the US and they also do it in Canada, which I found ironic, given that a lot of Canadians are very insistent on distancing themselves from US habits.

Politeness is like an air cushion. There's nothing in it, but it eases the burden wonderfully.

So there.

Quote of the day award.

I'm ALWAYS polite at first, then reflect the person serving me.

I'm equally appalled by the lack of manners by both sides of the transaction at times - from the "can I get a xxxx" from the customer, to "£12.50!" with no please or thank you from the staff.

Civility costs nothing, is USUALLY reciprocated, and differentiates us from thugs.

I'm equally appalled by the lack of manners by both sides of the transaction at times - from the "can I get a xxxx" from the customer, to "£12.50!" with no please or thank you from the staff.

Aargh - don't get me started on the "can I get..." line. No, you can't. I'll get it for you as well you know, so why are you asking if you can get it? Then you can have/buy it. Didn't you go to school?

I hate it when people just say (for example) "12.50", instead of "That's 12 pounds 50 please" (including the pence bit is just silly obviously. :P).

At the end of a transaction I always say "That will be 12 pounds 50 please" or something along those lines. I find saying "12.50" is too blunt and quite rude.

I don't get buses very often, but when I do I always thank the driver for stopping - does anyone else do this?

Yes always! Unless I found them to be rude or something when I first got on the bus.

Nevermind "Have A Nice Day" - I can live with that - it's "Ta" that gets me.

Ta - what's that supposed to be? Do you really think I learned another language with all it's details and complexities only to have it cut down to two-letter expressions? It's "THANK YOU" not "Ta" - aarrgghhhhhhhh...........

I don't get buses very often, but when I do I always thank the driver for stopping - does anyone else do this?

I always say thank you when I get off. Otherwise they might not stop next time!

Then again I say that when I disembark from tube trains, and complete by transactions at ATM's, so it might be a Pavlovian tic.

Nevermind "Have A Nice Day" - I can live with that - it's "Ta" that gets me.

Ta - what's that supposed to be? Do you really think I learned another language with all it's details and complexities only to have it cut down to two-letter expressions? It's "THANK YOU" not "Ta" - aarrgghhhhhhhh...........

I think the subtle nuances of "ta", may be a "detail and complexity" of the English language you haven't yet mastered.

Yes always! Unless I found them to be rude or something when I first got on the bus.

Rude bus drivers .. whatever next :o

Heh don't get me started on rude bus drivers! :P

I hate it when people just say (for example) "12.50", instead of "That's 12 pounds 50 please" (including the pence bit is just silly obviously. :P).

At the end of a transaction I always say "That will be 12 pounds 50 please" or something along those lines. I find saying "12.50" is too blunt and quite rude.

There's hope for youngsters yet. Good work!

I always say cheers when I get off the bus. Yes they're just doing their job but it's good manners. I don't have to say thankyou and nothing will happen if I don't, but I do because it's good manners. I think that's different to being in a job where you are instructed to issue a banal "have a nice day" to everyone.

Has anyone been served in Tesco's by the girl who comments on everything that you have bought, a la Caroline Aherne? Quite funny, really, as the C A character just plays over in my mind as she is scanning each item of intense interest!

Not been to Tesco for yonks really, but that sounds funny. It'd be mildly amusing to chuck in whatever would make a most amusing game of "tillside Mallett's Mallett".

Archived