Have A Nice Day

Albert Tatlock

Has anyone else noticed just how many people are starting to say 'Have a nice day' in shops etc. ??

A simple 'goodbye' will do me thanks.

But do you know what "goodbye" means or whence it came? Let me elucidate:

WORD HISTORY No doubt more than one reader has wondered exactly how goodbye is derived from the phrase “God be with you.” To understand this, it is helpful to see earlier forms of the expression, such as God be wy you, god b'w'y, godbwye, god buy' ye, and good-b'wy. The first word of the expression is now good and not God, for good replaced God by analogy with such expressions as good day, perhaps after people no longer had a clear idea of the original sense of the expression. A letter of 1573 written by Gabriel Harvey contains the first recorded use of goodbye: “To requite your gallonde [gallon] of godbwyes, I regive you a pottle of howdyes,” recalling another contraction that is still used.

So do you want God to be with you? Do you really? I don't. And I tell anyone who wishes me "Goodbye" that I don't want any evangelical prostheletyzing before I leave them, thank you very much indeed!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So do you want God to be with you? Do you really? I don't. And I tell anyone who wishes me "Goodbye" that I don't want any evangelical prostheletyzing before I leave them, thank you very much indeed!

I bet you would be a barrel of laughs at a party though. :)

I always say cheers when I get off the bus. Yes they're just doing their job but it's good manners. I don't have to say thankyou and nothing will happen if I don't, but I do because it's good manners. I think that's different to being in a job where you are instructed to issue a banal "have a nice day" to everyone.

I always try to act courteously when alighting the bus, but it has to be said a high proportion of them are miserable shits who need serious lessons in customer service. Being grunted at by some miserable bastard who can't manage a nano second of eye contact hardly makes you feel as if you want to use the service.

But do you know what "goodbye" means or whence it came? Let me elucidate:

WORD HISTORY No doubt more than one reader has wondered exactly how goodbye is derived from the phrase “God be with you.” To understand this, it is helpful to see earlier forms of the expression, such as God be wy you, god b'w'y, godbwye, god buy' ye, and good-b'wy. The first word of the expression is now good and not God, for good replaced God by analogy with such expressions as good day, perhaps after people no longer had a clear idea of the original sense of the expression. A letter of 1573 written by Gabriel Harvey contains the first recorded use of goodbye: “To requite your gallonde [gallon] of godbwyes, I regive you a pottle of howdyes,” recalling another contraction that is still used.

I think that's proselytising - although your hoped-for MA obviously trumps my woodwork O'level...

• 4 months later...

Has anyone else noticed just how many people are starting to say 'Have a nice day' in shops etc. ??

I noticed this a few times on the island during TT, and even the gas man said it to me this morning. I hate how we adopt this meaningless American clap trap. A simple 'goodbye' will do me thanks.

[

I hate the phrase, "Have a nice day" it irritates me to no end and I live in America. This started in the late 80s and now they say it everywhere. Can I move to England? where they don't say such shit

I don't know, but you could ask on a forum based in England.

Here we go again. Pretending we are not English but some independent nation. What a load of bollocks.

I can hear 'em now:

"No where else has chips, cheese and gravy"

Yes they fucken do, just about everywhere does, and long before this Island.

"No one else says fellaaah"

Yes they fucken do, just about everywhere does, except everywhere else realises it is a ridiculous and stupid irritating form of address. The Manx are just too stupid and insular to realise.

If the Manx were told gonorhhea was particular to the Isle of Man they would cling on to it as a National emblem.

The only thing the Isle of Man does is play host to greedy fat bastards who rip off the rest of the World for their taxes.

"Have a nice day, now"

Here we go again. Pretending we are not English but some independent nation. What a load of bollocks.

I can hear 'em now:

Yes they fucken do, just about everywhere does, except everywhere else realises it is a ridiculous and stupid irritating form of address. The Manx are just too stupid and insular to realise.

If the Manx were told gonorhhea was particular to the Isle of Man they would cling on to it as a National emblem.

The only thing the Isle of Man does is play host to greedy fat bastards who rip off the rest of the World for their taxes.

"Have a nice day, now"

WOW what an Arse.

In a similar vein what do people think about pub etiquette?

In a "normal pub" (ie not nightclub, c'est la vie etc) I will usually return my pint glass to the bar, (assuming there is room and it has not already been collected) before exiting the premises.

However this decision is usually based upon a number of factors including whether or not the bar staff have been helpful/friendly.

I certainly will not do this if the pub has a TV blaring out.

The British Hotel had a sign up at one time requesting that patrons returned their empty glasses to the bar which really annoyed me and of course I did not do so.

Although I guess collecting glasses falls under a barman/woman job description (unless a larger venue where it may be a job in it's own right) I find by and large returning glasses to the bar elicits a nice smile and a "thank you" which adds to the whole hostelry experience

I can hear 'em now:

"Have a nice day, now"

How do you cling on to gonorhhea? I'd like to see that

Archived