Have A Nice Day

Albert Tatlock

I got so sick of "Have a nice day" I started to retort with "I've made other plans...". From the frequent look of bafflement it received I'd guess for most Yanks that awfully hollow sentiment is just verbal autopilot instead of "goodbye" or similar.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having recently come back from the land of crass insincerity we certainly don't need that nonsense here. The worst I heard in the US is "Missing you already" - I really feel like poking their eyes out with sticks when I hear that. Why are you missing me already I've not actually gone because I can still hear you, you muppet.

What is wrong with a simple "cheers now fella ...."

"Missing you already" does indeed have to be the most annoying turn of phrase ever.

I get "you have a nice day now" on a reglar basis from one of the delivery drivers that calls into us - he's just about the most pleasant guy you could wish to meet and I do appreciate that. I also had a "you have a good day" today too, which was also nice.

EDIT: forgot to say, our regular postie always says "have a good weekend" to me when he calls in on a Saturday - always welcome at the end of a long week at work.

Archived