[BBC News] Glacier charity trek for Manxman

Newsbot

A 37-year-old Manx man is set to embark on a six-day charity expedition across glaciers in Iceland.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6233410.stm

I'm planning a 7 day holiday expedition in Majorca for charity this summer. I'm going to be actively lounging by the pool every day and drinking all night - it will be a gruelling test of endurance. I'm hoping to raise as much as 38p for charity. Will this make the local news as well?

A 37-year-old Manx man is set to embark on a six-day charity expedition across glaciers in Iceland.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6233410.stm

He's only covering 93 miles! Bet he would make more money by working an extra two weeks and donating his earnings.

Baa Humbug - way too much of this on the Island...

what is wrong with you people? he's trying to raise money for charity. how can this possibly be a bad thing and worthy of your mocking?

He's going on holiday for a week and wants people to pay money to charity because of what he'll do while on holiday.

What have I missed?

(Pressed Enter too soon.)

I go galcier trekking with my Spaniels most of the year, don't get owt for it (a free beer now and then maybe).

While I'm in grumpy mode, does anyone think the Manx branch of the British Legion overdo the advertising on Manx Radio a bit?

They're either after money or trying to find someone to give it to.

He's raised a bit of awareness for the charity, which can't be a bad thing. Would you be more inclined to sponsor him if it was something he didn't enjoy? Maybe he's afraid of ice monsters. Or Bjork.

Anyone who can spend a week on the beach surrounded by 20 small screaming children 12 hours a day for a whole week gets my vote. They have to travel there with the children as well, sit in a traffic jam, all the usual options.

This fella gets a week of pure pleasure - I wish I were going to Iceland (or Greenland - my preference).

He's going on holiday for a week and wants people to pay money to charity because of what he'll do while on holiday.

so who exactly loses out here?

Those who do some serious fund-raising, this is just a cheap trick.

90 something miles in the cold on ice and snow is not my idea of a 'holiday'. anyone prepared to do it and raise a few quid for charity gets my vote. its the parish walk in colder conditions on worse terrain. So who wants to start slagging off all those who got sponsors for charitable causes that did the parish walk then?? lots of whom only try to get to peel, 30 something miles.

90 something miles in the cold on ice and snow is not my idea of a 'holiday'. anyone prepared to do it and raise a few quid for charity gets my vote. its the parish walk in colder conditions on worse terrain. So who wants to start slagging off all those who got sponsors for charitable causes that did the parish walk then?? lots of whom only try to get to peel, 30 something miles.

Well good for him then - 3,000 quid is 3,000 quid, but this is something many people do for pleasure, especially where I live (and many die in the process). While he's doing this there are people I know on the Island providing excellent services in far worse conditions, for example looking after elderly people who are terminally ill and have dementia. Pay is not good yet they still do this rotten job - they really gain my respect.

IMO there's too much charity raising providing support which really should come from the state, the Hospice comes to mind here. I'm not knocking the Hospice fund raisers at all, but should this provision not come via the NHS?

Some months ago a bunch of secondary school girls from Douglas wanted sponsorship to walk from the sea terminal to Port Jack. If they had walked clockwise around the Island I would have sponsored them.

Some months ago a bunch of secondary school girls from Douglas wanted sponsorship to walk from the sea terminal to Port Jack. If they had walked clockwise around the Island I would have sponsored them.

More fool them, eh? That'll learn 'em, and you got to keep your spare cash in your pocket. Bonus.

(btw, loads of people walked around the island for pleasure at the weekend)

Archived