Clinches

KateS

Has anyone eaten in Clinches ?

We had a table booked for 6 Adults and 3 Children yesterday lunch. When we arrived there were 2 small round tables shoved together ( not enough space to sit 6 yet alone 9), and it was in the somking section. We asked to see the manager and I explained that we have 3 children one of which has just had cancer and asked if we could sit in the non-smoking section. The owner gave this speach about there being no smoking ban in the IOM and we could sit at the very small table in the smoking section or leave. The owner was realy obnoxious and could not had cared less about the kids being in the smoking section or not. Needless to say we left and had a very pleasent lunch at the Horse and Plough ( in their non-smoking section). Has anyone had a simiar experience?

Who was it that said (or something like this) "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool"?

I can understand that you'd be annoyed about the small table arrangements but did you specify non-smoking when you booked? Surely that should be down to you and not them to arrange or ask about.

As an aside, I don't like being in smokey places when I eat but if I choose to eat in a place where the only noticeable difference between the smoking and non-smoking areas is an ashtray on the table, then I wouldn't dream of complaining. I'm not implying that this is the case in Clinches but it does annoy me when I see a person at one table having their fag and a person at another coughing and tutting and making an issue/scene about the fact that someone dare to smoke while they eat.

hardly local news.

Its' news to me, and is also local.

I haven't eaten there, nor would I choose to. It seems a pretty sleazy place to me what with it importing a sordid selection of sleazy slappers to rub a pole up and down in TT week in order to fleece the sad single man, or married but feeling a little flaccid possibly due to the wife putting on a few pounds and perhaps greying a bit and also averse to doing the stuff that those downloadable birds what you can find on the internet do, of (quite) a few quid. lol,lol..... Can you imagine what that stain on the table is, as you finger the gravy spill off it into your mouth? yuk, lol.....

We had a table booked for 6 Adults and 3 Children yesterday lunch. When we arrived there were 2 small round tables shoved together ( not enough space to sit 6 yet alone 9), and it was in the somking section. We asked to see the manager and I explained that we have 3 children one of which has just had cancer and asked if we could sit in the non-smoking section. The owner gave this speach about there being no smoking ban in the IOM and we could sit at the very small table in the smoking section or leave. The owner was realy obnoxious and could not had cared less about the kids being in the smoking section or not. Needless to say we left and had a very pleasent lunch at the Horse and Plough ( in their non-smoking section). Has anyone had a simiar experience?

Im suprised by this. Have not eaten there to be honest but I know Lee who is one of the managers/owners and is genuinely a really nice bloke. Im assuming it was not Lee you spoke to? Skin headed chap.

I haven't eaten there, nor would I choose to. It seems a pretty sleazy place to me what with it importing a sordid selection of sleazy slappers to rub a pole up and down in TT week in order to fleece the sad single man, or married but feeling a little flaccid possibly due to the wife putting on a few pounds and perhaps greying a bit and also averse to doing the stuff that those downloadable birds what you can find on the internet do, of (quite) a few quid. lol,lol..... Can you imagine what that stain on the table is, as you finger the gravy spill off it into your mouth? yuk, lol.....

At some point in this post you stopped talking about "sad single men" and slipped into the hell of your own desires.

I know the guys down their and they are really nice guys - good grub too, the Upstaris bit was used with the Exoctic dancers during TT as an extra income boost but who doesn't during TT? - I will pass your comments on when I see them.

I know the guys down their and they are really nice guys - good grub too, the Upstaris bit was used with the Exoctic dancers during TT as an extra income boost but who doesn't during TT? - I will pass your comments on when I see them.

Yes I agree, great place to eat, and good prices!

I haven't eaten there, nor would I choose to.

Damn it! On the one hand there appears to a bad attitude from the management - which makes it seem very unattractive - whilst, on the other hand, there seems to be a guarantee that keyboarder won't go anywhere near the place - which is a definite plus for any reasonable person.

Ohhhh... decisions! Decisions!

I have received a phone call from one of Clinches directors aplogising for the misunderstanding on Sunday. The problem has now been resolved and me and my family look forward to eating there soon.

In response to Kate S, I am extremley dissapointed to here her comments and thoughts following her first experience of Clinch's Marina Lounge. Both myself and Lee Crossley (who are the Directors and owners) have followed this up as this is not what we would expect from any member of our team and would have hoped that the situation would have been handled with a completely different manner and approach.

Clinch's Marina Lounge is not a no smoking venue due the layout of the building, it is not feasible to have a specific no smoking area, however, during food service we encourage NO smoking in the larger area.

I can only appologise for 1. how Kate S and her family were handled and 2. the unfortunate first experience of Clinch's. I would obviously welcome the opportunity to meet with Kate S and for her to perhaps give Clinch's a second chance.

Brendan Beeken

Managing Director

I actually ate at Clinches this afternoon and food was good and home made, even the chips! Service a little bit slow though.

Clinches has been very welcoming on weekday lunchtimes with good food upstairs since it changed hands a few months. Downstairs has turned in to a bit of a dive. Maybe the weekend staff are different.

Archived