Should The Parish Walk Be Promoted As A National Event?

spermann

If it can sign up 1300 locals, should the Government support this as a national UK event (to attract professional walkers over). After all Sky TV has taken it on board, and it would appear to be a very well supported event! Appologies if this subject has been raised in the past..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it can sign up 1300 locals, should the Government support this as a national UK event (to attract professional walkers over). After all Sky TV has taken it on board, and it would appear to be a very well supported event! Appologies if this subject has been raised in the past..

If you knew anything, you would know it was already promoted in the UK, however most top class walkers are not that interested in the Parish - there's no enough money on the table (ok maybe that is an issue to be discussed), and want to focus on other bigger things.

The Parish is not really a technical racewalkers race:- the ascents and descents create problems with proper technique for those who are more typically to be found on flat courses (for example several comments were passed on Micheal George on the descents, who was actually one of the few people who was technically walking properly), it's more of an endurance stomp. This is why Peter Kaneen is not doing the parish - he's focussing on other events and records.

Is there enough capacity? If 1,300 locals take part then why not keep it that way.

Is there enough capacity? If 1,300 locals take part then why not keep it that way.

Except that there were less than 1,300 locals taking part - there was a lot of people who came over specifically for the event - and a lot who have been coming over for years too...

I had exactly the same thoughts, Spermann, on Saturday when I came across the parish when going to Castletown in the morning; why not make it a higher profile event to counter the TT hyperbole? You know, not only can we do the fast, spectacular, dangerous stuff, with lots of burnt rubber, beer and stunts, but we can also do the dedicated, endurance type thing.

I vote 'yes' on this one.

should the title of this thred be, "should the Parish Walk Be Promoted As an international Event?

Yes your right Jim - International!

I just feel if it is self supporting itself at the moment on a local level then there must be a hell of a lot more scope for it, and i agree that it would be nice to spread our horizons even though i love the TT.

should the title of this thred be, "should the Parish Walk Be Promoted As an international Event?

I just feel if it is self supporting itself at the moment on a local level then there must be a hell of a lot more scope for it, and i agree that it would be nice to spread our horizons even though i love the TT.

Once again as it hasn't sunk in, I repeat myself...

The Parish walk is already promoted as an International event & has had people coming from all over the world to compete in it...

Lets look at a few examples among many......

Karen Marie Brogger - Danish Army Tank Mechanic

Chris Flint - Policeman from London

Charlie Weston - Londoner who's been coming over for years to do the Parish

Martijn Biesmans - Dutch first time finisher

British Forces Teams/personnel have been coming over for years to compete.

These are just amongst the few I could mention....Need I really carry on????.....

And please tell the support car drivers that putting their headlights on full beam - so that oncoming drivers cannot possibly see the walkers - isn't really a good idea. Dipped headlights + hazard lights would be more than sufficient.

I don't know, sounds like that would make it more exciting. In fact I think the event should begin to include motorists and have it so that all participants were blindfolded.

I'd tune in to watch the Annual International Stumble Dash Car Dodge Race. "The Parish Walk" just doesn't have the same ring to it, conjours up images of people in buckle hats dragging about carts of hay around the Island.

Yes. Can you cite examples of it being promoted. Thank you.

Also, relax.

Well it's common knowledge amongst the Athletics community that the Parish has been promoted across. Basically advertisements were sent around relevant groups (ie walking/athletics clubs, etc).

As I mentioned the real top walkers are not interested in the Parish - it's not a racewalking race, it's an endurance stomp. Some of the Islands top racewalkers would not feature highly in the race - for example Steve Partington, arguably amongst the best walking talent this Island has produced only finished in 8th place. Jane Kennaugh finished in 12th, Peter Kaneen didn't even take part. Yet if they were walking at their respective chosen distances, they would be miles down the road from some of the other finishers who may have been higher up in the Parish walk, but who would be far further down (or possibly disqualified) in a technical walking race.

Once again as it hasn't sunk in, I repeat myself...

The Parish walk is already promoted as an International event & has had people coming from all over the world to compete in it...

Lets look at a few examples among many......

Karen Marie Brogger - Danish Army Tank Mechanic

Chris Flint - Policeman from London

Charlie Weston - Londoner who's been coming over for years to do the Parish

Martijn Biesmans - Dutch first time finisher

British Forces Teams/personnel have been coming over for years to compete.

These are just amongst the few I could mention....Need I really carry on????.....

Yes please carry on. I think it should be promoted as an international event. Go on name me another 10 people... WANKER.

Well it's common knowledge amongst the Athletics community that the Parish has been promoted across. Basically advertisements were sent around relevant groups (ie walking/athletics clubs, etc).

As I mentioned the real top walkers are not interested in the Parish - it's not a racewalking race, it's an endurance stomp. Some of the Islands top racewalkers would not feature highly in the race - for example Steve Partington, arguably amongst the best walking talent this Island has produced only finished in 8th place. Jane Kennaugh finished in 12th, Peter Kaneen didn't even take part. Yet if they were walking at their respective chosen distances, they would be miles down the road from some of the other finishers who may have been higher up in the Parish walk, but who would be far further down (or possibly disqualified) in a technical walking race.

Right, so it's promoted to walking and athletics clubs, and you're saying that as it's more of an endurance stomp than a "technical racewalk", these people aren't really interested in the event. Which suggests there is room for improvement as far as promotion of the event goes. So I'm not really sure why you have a problem with people talking about it.

Archived