Should The Parish Walk Be Promoted As A National Event?

spermann

should the title of this thred be, "should the Parish Walk Be Promoted As an international Event?

Yes your right Jim - International!

I just feel if it is self supporting itself at the moment on a local level then there must be a hell of a lot more scope for it, and i agree that it would be nice to spread our horizons even though i love the TT.

Once again as it hasn't sunk in, I repeat myself...

The Parish walk is already promoted as an International event & has had people coming from all over the world to compete in it...

Lets look at a few examples among many......

Karen Marie Brogger - Danish Army Tank Mechanic

Chris Flint - Policeman from London

Charlie Weston - Londoner who's been coming over for years to do the Parish

Martijn Biesmans - Dutch first time finisher

British Forces Teams/personnel have been coming over for years to compete.

These are just amongst the few I could mention....Need I really carry on????.....

What I was trying to point out was the incorrect use of the word National in the thred title, the Parish is already promoted very well throughout our Nation, any further promotion to other countries i.e. the U.K. would be international promotion.

Oh and It could never be "National U.K. event" as its not held in the U.K.

I know it is clear to most people what was ment by the title, and maybe I'm being a bit pedantic but this ia after all "Manx forums" and I think its important not to blurr the line between our Nations any more than they aready are.

oh and stuartT calm down you'll give yourself a heart attack

I was addressing that more generally, and not just to you.

Hey Stuart, Calm down nobody is having a go at you. The Parish walk is a great event. I just thought that perhaps, maybe it could be promoted more to encourage more entree's from accross the water? You mentioned that there is only a handfull of people who come over to take part, I think this could be a real big event! Especially if Sky TV cover it year on year! I am not having a go at the organisers, they appear to have carried out a fantastic (probably unpaid) job. Just wonder should the Government back it and promote it to attract more people over - and build on its sucsess?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the number of 'ordinary' people who take part in the various marathons? Couldn't the same be sought for the Parish? The appeal of marathons and events like the Parish is that ordinary, untrained people feel that they can have a go.

It's great that the Parish Walk is such an inclusive event for people who may not be involved in athletics year round, but who want to challenge themselves occasionally. It could be a real attraction to 'fun runners' who may otherwise take part in the likes of the London Marathon or Great North Run but are looking for something more extreme.

My brother went in for the first time this year and made it to Jurby - now he has a taste for it, he's got an ambition to finish next year. My cousins have been entering for several years, usually aiming for Peel. They're not year-round walkers either, but they're relatively fit and train in the run-up to the event and make pretty respectable times. I'm tempted to enter myself next year too.

Anything that encourages more of us to get up off the couch is a good idea.

Archived