[BBC News] 'Major' drink and drugs problem

Newsbot

Alcohol and drug abuse in the Isle of Man is spiralling out of control, an island politician has claimed.

Home Affairs Minister Martyn Quayle told the House of Keys there has been 3,367 drug and alcohol-related arrests in the last three years.

I do wish that things wouldn't be 'combined' in this way. It's rather like the way that 'sex and violence' always seemed to be inseparable as far as criminal statistics were concerned.

As someone who spends a good part of his working life driving people home after they've been out enjoying themselves of an evening, I have to say that there is frequent evidence of alcohol 'abuse' and occasional evidence of drug 'abuse.'

There is no doubt that drugs are available on the island for those who want them but, for the most part, they are the so-called 'recreational' drugs such as cannabis and ecstasy (the 'harder' drugs being less available and much more expensive).

Before panicking about things like this, I'd like to see separate figure for alcohol-related crime and drugs-related crime because I'm very much afraid that this is a case of a politician scaremongering in order to present a case for senior police to improve their budget and later claim to have 'solved' the problem. It's all rather like the way that 'Project Centurion' operated: distort and exaggerate a problem to a ridiculous degree, make more changes on paper than in reality and then win an international award for solving a non-existent problem

Alcohol and drug abuse in the Isle of Man is spiralling out of control, an island politician has claimed.

Home Affairs Minister Martyn Quayle told the House of Keys there has been 3,367 drug and alcohol-related arrests in the last three years.

I do wish that things wouldn't be 'combined' in this way. It's rather like the way that 'sex and violence' always seemed to be inseparable as far as criminal statistics were concerned.

As someone who spends a good part of his working life driving people home after they've been out enjoying themselves of an evening, I have to say that there is frequent evidence of alcohol 'abuse' and occasional evidence of drug 'abuse.'

There is no doubt that drugs are available on the island for those who want them but, for the most part, they are the so-called 'recreational' drugs such as cannabis and ecstasy (the 'harder' drugs being less available and much more expensive).

Before panicking about things like this, I'd like to see separate figure for alcohol-related crime and drugs-related crime because I'm very much afraid that this is a case of a politician scaremongering in order to present a case for senior police to improve their budget and later claim to have 'solved' the problem. It's all rather like the way that 'Project Centurion' operated: distort and exaggerate a problem to a ridiculous degree, make more changes on paper than in reality and then win an international award for solving a non-existent problem

I totally agree.

Being someone who enjoys going out of a weekend, it is always those under the influence of alcohol that cause trouble. I have seen many people who I suspect have taken recreational drugs, and they would rather hug you than punch you!

These politicians need to get out more instead of looking at distorted paperwork over a campari and crackers of a saturday night. <_<

These politicians need to get out more instead of looking at distorted paperwork over a campari and crackers of a saturday night

Quite right, a walk around Douglas prom area after midnight on a weekend might imbue a sense of reality. As for drugs? Apart from home grown wacky and the odd adventurous amateur chemist, presumably the rest of the crap is imported. We had a drugs dog crawling and dribbling all over our bags last year when we flew back from the UK so how is it all getting here in the amounts claimed?

Just heard MR news item - 17 caught trying to import various types of crap last year.

Archived