Ex- Minister Exposes Planning Scam?

Fossils

Rimmington is quoted by MR as ‘This could only represent either altruism by Dandara or a strong expectation that the land would be zoned for development or a payment for services rendered or to be rendered or some combination of the three.’ - if either of the latter two then this would indeed be interesting as on the prima facie evidence Rimmington would appear to be implying corruption by one or both parties - presumeably his remarks are privileged - I wonder how Dandara will react.

Don't see why John Rimington's remarks would be priveledged anymore, not as if he's an MHK now, saying it in Tynwald. He's liable to the same slander and libel laws as you and me so must feel he is on safe ground saying what he did!

I don't think that the ex-Clerk needs to work.

"The sale of land by the clerk to the Dandara group was also criticized by Mr Rimington.

The area only had an agricultural value but was sold at development price - a difference of about £260,000.

He said: ‘This could only represent either altruism by Dandara or a strong expectation that the land would be zoned for development or a payment for services rendered or to be rendered or some combination of the three."

I think we just need to hang fire regarding this subject heading - even though it does end with a question mark *LOL*.

Mr Rimmington hasn't "exposed" anything. He simply threw an either/or comment into the interview with Manx Radio. So he hasn't said anything slanderous or written anything libellous about anything or anyone... so far. His comments certainly warrant further investigation in my opinion though.

Yes they do need further investigation but will that happen?

And if it does will it happen in a full open investigation or will it be behind closed doors?

Well we can now see why the ex clerk got the bullet.

This is probably the tip of the iceberg.

I was told many years ago that people were getting free houses but that is just rumours.

No smoke with out fire i guess.

I personally think the time has come for more building in the north of the island.

I have no problem with building its just why expand douglas anymore ?

I wish they would send me a few brown envelopes :D

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...=14314&st=0

it's been rumbling along for ages this one. It's one aspect of manx politics that i find infuriating that cases like this seem to limp on for ages and seem to get forgotten about. I don't know whether this is due to involved parties actively suppressing information but it doesn't make for a transparent government. I know there've been rumours and conspiracy theories for many years now and it would be pleasing for once to see the new government take an active stand to try and clear these issues up but I doubt it will happen. I think it speaks volumes that an ex-minister is on the outside now and raising it while the incumbents don't seem too interested.

First the evidence came out in an enquiry being conducted, in public, by the present politicians into Braddan and planning. How much more open andf transparent can you get. Why not go and listen. Not politicians fault that it is mostly so dry and dull the media don't report. That means the incumbents are interested. Its the only reason Rimmington can speak out.

Second giving evidence on oath to a parliamentary committee is privileged from the laws of defamation, just as if the giver of the evidence was an MHK in the Keys

Third as long as the radio report was a fair report of the proceedings so that is OK

Archived