Work Permit Report Published

Amadeus

Work permit report published

The Department of Trade and Industry has released the results of its review into the work permit system.

Minister David Cretney (pictured) announced the wide-reaching review when he first took office following November’s general election.

The 34-page report investigates all aspects of the system and contains a number of recommendations.

From the gov site:

Publication of the Review of Work Permit Legislation and its Administration

Main bits:

There is significant support for the use of a work permit system, but there is also a demand for the system to work effectively and efficiently. To this end, a number of operational improvements have been suggested. It has been recommended that the DTI should

a ) formulate and publish clear policies on the key aspects of the Work Permit system;

b ) make permit decisions based on valid economic data;

c ) establish a clear system of delegation;

d ) issue quarterly economic direction to the Work Permit Committee;

e ) support Government economic initiatives;

f ) enforce the legislation properly;

g ) extend the exemption periods for work of a temporary nature;

h ) extend where possible the duration of permit validity;

i ) set and achieve appropriate targets for the administrative process and in order to encourage greater public awareness and confidence in the system a greater flow of information concerning work permits will be released into the public domain;

j ) review the permits renewal process;

k ) urgently review its IT systems;

l ) provide a fair and effective process for determination and appeal..........

..................The Review has also proposed a number of key points for consideration and the Department has attached to the report its proposals in terms of a timescale of response to many of the points. Some matters will require Tynwald support for legislative change, and the Department will provide a further report on these. These options include:

1. Amending the Control of Employment Act (CEA) Section 3a so that Work Permits issued to spouses are aligned to the validity of their partner’s permit.

2. Amending the Act in respect of the exemption categories. Rather than increasing the list of exempted employments the Department should consider including in any amendment provision the ability to make short-term orders to exempt key employments.

3. Amending the 1993 Regulations so that the permits can be transferable between employers so long as the type of work remains the same as when the permit was granted.

4. The merits of a system whereby workers could apply for a permit to work for a sector before applying for a given post in that sector.

5. Amending the 1993 Regulations to make it easier to revoke a permit if need be.

6. Amending the Act to extend the qualifying period for Isle of Man worker status from 5 years to 10 years, the primary aim of this being to facilitate the granting of longer permits without granting Isle of Man worker status by default.

7. Reviewing the definitions of Isle of Man workers contained in the Act, particularly the subsection (1) (h) conditions for persons in full time education.

8. Amending the Act to allow the provisions made for summer workers to apply to other seasonal workers.

Complete report (PDF) from gov site here

Blimey - lloks like a right load of work to be done... It's all because of them foreigners, I tell ya :ph34r:

And not one mention anywhere that the present system and the sytem that is proposed is non human rights compliant.

As long as you don't need a work permit for some jobs, Governor, MHK MLC, policeman, minister of religion, but do need one to be an ordinary employee in an ordinary job it is so highly discriminatory as to be in total breach of the Human Rights Act.

6. Amending the Act to extend the qualifying period for Isle of Man worker status from 5 years to 10 years, the primary aim of this being to facilitate the granting of longer permits without granting Isle of Man worker status by default.

Would this be retrospective? I.e. if someone has been here for 4 years 11 months would they have to wait another 5 years and 1 month for a permit???

And not one mention anywhere that the present system and the sytem that is proposed is non human rights compliant.

As long as you don't need a work permit for some jobs, Governor, MHK MLC, policeman, minister of religion, but do need one to be an ordinary employee in an ordinary job it is so highly discriminatory as to be in total breach of the Human Rights Act.

Am I right in guessing that it would only take one test case to break the current system then?

am i right in thinking that when people have worked here for 5 years they get an indefinite work permit? Surely if your not British and after working here 5 years then as a pre-condition to being granted the Manx Worker status foreign and particularly non EU nationals should have to take out British citizenship and surrender their passport from country of origin, 'cos if after 5 years your deciding to stay and take advantage of the considerable opportunity being offered then you should give up something in return and show your commitment to the IOM/Britain?

am i right in thinking that when people have worked here for 5 years they get an indefinite work permit? Surely if your not British and after working here 5 years then as a pre-condition to being granted the Manx Worker status foreign and particularly non EU nationals should have to take out British citizenship and surrender their passport from country of origin, 'cos if after 5 years your deciding to stay and take advantage of the considerable opportunity being offered then you should give up something in return and show your commitment to the IOM/Britain?

Ever heard of a full stop?

and if you can't show a full commitment to the IOM/Britain by taking out citizenship then you shouldn't be surprised that you don't get entitlled to stay here without having to renew your work permit

Looking at some of the stuff you come up with, I'm surprised you count as a member of the human race, let alone a certain nationality...

And it's "entitled", not "entitlled"

Kind Regards,

A German

on the CNN news 1,000 people took part in a ceremony at Disneyland Florida to become US Citizens.

So why here do people who have been here working on the IOM for at least 5 years not seem eager to become full British citizens?

You don't get an indefinite work permit - After 5 years continuous residence at present you clasify as an Isle of Man worker and therefore don't need a permit.

Non EU nationals are dealt with under a different permit system via the Overseas Labour Scheme.

What extra commitment do you want from people other than contibuting to our growing economy and paying taxes etc....?

Would this be retrospective? I.e. if someone has been here for 4 years 11 months would they have to wait another 5 years and 1 month for a permit???

A very good question Cronky, I'd be interested in this answer, paging John Wright! :huh:

I think it is unusual for legislation to be introduced which has a retrospective effect, especially when it is dealing with something that directly impacts on a person's status, so you should be OK. Subject to John's comments, of course.

I'll have worked here for five years this November. I've been paying tax, national insurance and investing the local economy (primarily public houses). Personally I don't see the problem. The world is a small place nowadays and it seems to me that the only ones who want residency laws are the same ones who fear change.

Archived