Work Permit Report Published

Amadeus

....it seems to me that the only ones who want residency laws are the same ones who fear change.

...and maybe those people who have seen how the UK has changed for the worse in 20 years - and don't want the same standards here thanks very much.

Rose tinted glasses! The past always seemed better because the realities of the present are current. The fifties had rationing yet people remember it fondly, the seventies had general strikes yet people remember it fondly, the eighties had record unemployment yet people remember it fondly.

I really don't think there's going to be an influx of asylum seekers over here. Those coming over to work are a benefit to the Island's economy.

At present I agree mojo, however, I came here because it's a brilliant place to live and because the UK has changed for the worse over the last 20 years, hugely so in the last 10. It's wrecked, ruined and changed forever, (for the worse) and i was lucky enough to live in a very nice area.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is worth resurrecting as there is a whole page in todays Examiner.

The Alan Bell / Bill Henderson comments are interesting. It looks to me that there's huge misunderstanding about work permits - Bill Henderson is quoted going on about refuting that the system 'promotes mediocrity' but I have to say that in my experience the only people I've seen object to appointments made and played the work permit card are not Manx workers but people you've been here for 5 years or more, got their residency status, and are shit scared of having to return to the UK if they're passed over for promotion. I've seldom seen a manx person play the work permit card. What is the experience of other people out there? I can't talk for government, but in the private sector I've never seen a real Manxie use the system to pull one over on a successful off Island candidate.

Does the system promote mediocrity, or is it simply being used to protect people it was not set up to protect?

Where I work we recently had a situation where we hired a professionally qualified person from an agency after being unable to find anyone suitably qualified on island. Eventually a permanent position became available so the agency worker applied as they liked it over here. Despite advertising they were the only person to apply for the job and having already done the job satisfactorily for nearly a year they were offered the position. Not being Manx they needed a work permit, so one was applied for. The work permit committee rejected the application on the grounds that the position should be filled by a Manx worker, none had applied and none were known of! What a stupid system.

Bring on immigration??? I've seen the UK change through immigration and if I wanted foreign genes in my family I'd get the boat in the morning.

Work permits perhaps delays the change.

I'm happy as I am now, Sarahc. You can leave for foreign blood

Archived