[BBC News] Women recovering after sea rescue

Newsbot

Ah! That explains it! I was taking someone to the hospital yesterday evening and the barrier was down at the entrance to the road by the helicopter pad.

What still surprises me is that, as well as a police vehicle to make sure the road wasn't being used, there was also an ambulance, a coastguard vehicle and a fire engine.

Ah! That explains it! I was taking someone to the hospital yesterday evening and the barrier was down at the entrance to the road by the helicopter pad.

What still surprises me is that, as well as a police vehicle to make sure the road wasn't being used, there was also an ambulance, a coastguard vehicle and a fire engine.

Its because someone thought it was a good idea to use TETRA radios here.

They dont make them sealed and safe, spark wise (for explosive environments) and they dont fit them into Search and Rescue Helicopters for that reason. The only way they can 'talk' to the ground is by Marine VHF and Air Band radio.

Seeing as they dont have control towers dotted all over the island in case a helicopter needs to land, the coastguard gets called in to provide the radio link to the the collecting ambulance or ground staff.

Its best to have a fire engine about, they are big and red, and can drive real fast.. as for the police car, someone told him it was bringing in do-nuts and cream cakes as well.

Seeing as they dont have control towers dotted all over the island in case a helicopter needs to land, the coastguard gets called in to provide the radio link to the the collecting ambulance or ground staff

Ronaldsway Control Tower covers most of the Island with aeronautical radio communications so it never ceases to amaze me what the Coastguard have to do with an inland search and rescue incidents and medivac helicopter landings at Nobles Hospital? They should really stay with what they know best - The Coast!!!

Last 10

I'm a coastguard and just thought i'd clarify a couple of points, because yes it must look a bit strange seeing us at the hospital.

From time to time we have to set up helicopter landing sites for a rescue on the coast, or the hills if winching is not considered the easiest option and a landing is, so as such are trained in guiding helicopters in to land with the use of smoke signals etc.. to demonstrate wind direction... so when a Search and rescue helicopter comes to the hospital the same applies, however they should be able to land there without much trouble as theres a windsock and its a pretty decent landing area with no nasty suprises! So only really go as a precaution and for radio liason. Also the guys on the ground are sent by the coastguard control room in Liverpool, so are often sent to meet lifeboats or helicopters in to make sure everything is ok, get the details and report any additional info back.

With regards to inland, as theres no mountain rescue teams on the island, and the close proximity of the coast to the hills on the IOM it makes sense that the resource we have is used when things happen inland so sometimes we get called inland, although yes the coast is by far the vast majority of what do.

They dont make them sealed and safe, spark wise (for explosive environments) and they dont fit them into Search and Rescue Helicopters for that reason. The only way they can 'talk' to the ground is by Marine VHF and Air Band radio.

Isn't that more to do with the fact TETRA is a cell-based radio technology, much like GSM or WiMAX (TETRA uses TDMA), it uses different frequencies (300-400MHz as opposed to <200MHz) and to a degree is a directional system - therefore it just isn't suitable. It's just not designed for the same applications as Marine VHF or Aircraft radio.

Archived