Of All The Half Baked Daft Ideas..

x-in-man

But how do you know it's petrol prices? The uk changed to emission based annual tax, and sales of 4x4's went down, and sales of small cars went up. What have you got to prove that it's petrol pricing?

Do you not think that the special 4x4 tax (not emission based) may have had a bigger impact? Do you not think that the bad press given to 4x4, because around half the pedestrian collisions that involve children also involve 4x4s? (poor visibility.

As far as small car sales increasing is concerned, petrol is the main reason. The amount the average brit pays in in annual road tax is small compared to the amount he pays in petrol tax.

Either way, it doesn't matter, as I've said there are a few exceptions and a silly 1.6 engine in a stupidly big car is one of them. BMW don't seem to make the 316 anymore, right?

It's by no means the norm as you'd suggested. In pretty much every other example a smaller engine car has a higher mpg and less emissions.

The 316 has been dropped because the latest 3 series are so lardy arsed that it would be under powered. However, my issue is not to do specifically with the 316, but automatics. In the case of my 316, the manual was 0-60 in 10.7 and combined mpg figure (manufacturers) 36 ( that is actually not too shabby for any day to day car). Auto was 0-60 in 12.2 and mpg of 30. in other words the auto box zapped 20% of the fuel economy. The government tax figures do not take this into account, but they should.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived