30% Rise For Top Earning Govt Staff

Albert Tatlock

From MR

• 30 per cent increase in the number of top-earning government staff.
  • 357 people working for the government earned £50,000 or more in 2006 but this year, figure has risen to 509.
  • The largest increases are those earning up to £70,000 – 128 people more than in 2006.
  • Last year nobody was paid more than £190,000 (this year one person is earning at least £190,000).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

earnings are not necessarilly just the basic ( however much ) wage. if someone was doing overtime it would increase their earnings in that year. expenses might come into it too though they are not 'earned' in the true sense.

the headline is somewhat misleading. (on both manx radio and on this topic)

30% rise for top earning government staff

This indicates that all top staff have had a payrise of 30 % ( not true)

IS NOT THE SAME AS

30% increase in the number of govenment workers that earn above 50,000.

This one tells you that the number of staff earning above an arbitrary threshold has increased, which is hardly surprising considering inflation linked payrises accross the board in government, as sarah above says, top of the SEO scale has just gone past £50,000 plus, this time last year it was under that.....

Maybe it should read

Owing to a payrise inline with inflation (apparantly) a few civil servants have a little bit more money

IS NOT THE SAME AS

This one tells you that the number of staff earning above an arbitrary threshold has increased, which is hardly surprising considering inflation linked payrises accross the board in government, as sarah above says, top of the SEO scale has just gone past £50,000 plus, this time last year it was under that.....

Maybe it should read

Owing to a payrise inline with inflation (apparantly) a few civil servants have a little bit more money

I think it's wrong that these people are getting so much money when the manual government workers can't even get an inflation pay rise. I'm sure I read in the paper that the government want to give them a below inflation pay rise.

I can't remember if that's the case but it was something like that. :)

IS NOT THE SAME AS

Maybe it should read

I think it's wrong that these people are getting so much money when the manual government workers can't even get an inflation pay rise. I'm sure I read in the paper that the government want to give them a below inflation pay rise.

I wouldn't want to argue either way but with the average house price now around £259,000 on a 5 times multiple that means that £50,000 is the sort of salary you need in order to be able to buy.

Whilst property keeps going crazy there will always be pressure on public and private sector wages to creep up otherwise nobody would have anywhere to live.

IS NOT THE SAME AS

Maybe it should read

Fairly sure civil servants got below inflation increase too.

• 5 years later...

how times have changed since this thread.

Only for the rest of us they have. Whats the betting that all those on £70,000 or more in 2007 are still on £70,000 or more (plus incremental increases and promotions over the last 7 or 8 years) now, and that a fair few more have moved from the £50,000 plus to £70,000 plus category?

I doubt they'd have the balls to update the figures now.

Archived