Hospice To Drop St Bridget's From Name - Its Up For Sale

copycat

Apparently 'naming of the new facility is still available' to a donor who contributes a substantial sum - so we may yet see:-

AG House or

The JW House, etc

is it right someone can buy the name of something that's been so well known previously as St Bridget's ?

Personally I don't see the problem. If someone is willing to donate an appropriate amount of money to charity it may be appropriate to acknowledge them. There's a long tradition of this sort of thing (Barnardos, Rowntree, etc.).

Why St Bridget's?

The Hospice was named St Bridget's because Bridget was born in Dundalk in about 453 A.D. of parents baptised by St. Patrick. Having taken as her text “Blessed are the merciful” she attracted to her cause those who wished to share with her the care of the sick and the weary, founding the Sisters of Mercy and the Nunnery in Douglas. It is said that rich ladies sold their jewels and brought the money to help her cause.

Bridget's love and compassion extended to all living things and it was said that because of her gentle and merciful deeds her life had been like a ladder by which souls climbed to heaven.

Here at St. Bridget’s we aim to continue her philosophy of care, whilst making full use of the latest knowledge and education in palliative care.

Why St Bridget's?

The Hospice was named St Bridget's because Bridget was born in Dundalk in about 453 A.D. of parents baptised by St. Patrick. Having taken as her text “Blessed are the merciful” she attracted to her cause those who wished to share with her the care of the sick and the weary, founding the Sisters of Mercy and the Nunnery in Douglas. It is said that rich ladies sold their jewels and brought the money to help her cause.

Bridget's love and compassion extended to all living things and it was said that because of her gentle and merciful deeds her life had been like a ladder by which souls climbed to heaven.

Here at St. Bridget’s we aim to continue her philosophy of care, whilst making full use of the latest knowledge and education in palliative care.

You could at least acknowldege that you'd copied and pasted that straight from their website. :P

Ah so. Now we read in today's IOM EXaminer that the Charity's Chairman has "sought to head off any suggestion that re-branding was not an appropriate use of donated funds arguing that the charity had to modernise in order to carry out its work"

The people that I've spoken to about this since getting the paper at lunch time are also now wondering how much it did cost from donated money to re-brand the charity? and in fact why did it cost anything at all? surely any company asked to help should have done so free gratis as a means of helping the charity, not making money from donations already given in good faith towards an existing situation.

Surely if there was a case for re-branding then trhe Hospice should have said so before hand put forward its acse and asked for donations to meet that cost.

Moreover there is credit given in the article to the new logo being the work of a member of Ramsey based Lily Publications which is "now helping handle fund raising, marketing and public relations" for the hospice. This just doesn't sit right with me that money I donate is going to end up going into the coffers of a private business.

We continually hear stories for example of charity Christmas Card sales where only 10% 0f the money raised actually gets paid over to the charity concerned.

If the Hospice needs more help with fund raising, marketing and public relations why hasn't it in the first instance appealed for some voluntary workers to help?

If the Hospice needs more help with fund raising, marketing and public relations why hasn't it in the first instance appealed for some voluntary workers to help?

Who knows? Maybe its a big conspiracy, maybe we should have a commission of inquiry.

per IOM EXaminer today "Hospice Care chairman hits out at criticism of name change plan" yet there are 6 letters from people reacting against the proposals including someone with an MBE - is the Chairman on a collision course with the supporters or is this a case of making decisions without canvassing widespread support before-hand and then trying to justify it retrospectively?

Wasn't it Dorothy Pantin House when it first started out anyway?

The building in Westmoreland Raod is still called Dorothy Pantin House. What kind of doctor was Dr Pantin as I remember my Mum went to her when I was a kid and no-one ever said why.

Archived