[BBC News] Workers to get minimum wage boost

Newsbot

see Thread started on 30 June about minimum wage, thank you <_<

Yes... but this one is actually linked to an IoM, rather than an Irish, news story. Plus, of course, it doesn't have the distraction of being tagged to 'Migrant Labor'

Just out of interest, does the Government have anybody going round and checking with immigrant workers with work permits to make sure they are getting the minimum wage at least? Recall seeing a paper article some weeks ago claiming that some were being underpaid......

Woo, its a raise by less than the rate of inflation - you're actually getting LESS purchasing power! :D

Good for business though

It's a 3.7% increase. I dream of 3.7% - just like everyone else in the private sector.

O well i bet the steam packet will have a few more one way tickets booked for here.

I know a friend in london was telling me the polish are heading to the island because its better pay and less tax.

He was alo telling me that a lot of the local companies have gone bust due to polish companies under cutting local's.

I am not really bothered myself because i tend to see it as a fact of life, look at the 80's and 90's when the english went to germany for work.

At least they pay taxes unlike the lazy locals on the dole :angry:

Just out of interest, does the Government have anybody going round and checking with immigrant workers with work permits......

I'd like to see someone looking for the ones without work permits!

At least they pay taxes unlike the lazy locals on the dole

As far as i know most benefits are taxed and not everyone who's on the dole is lazy, every case should be treated differently. You never know, you might be in the same boat yourself on day.

However the government saying that x numbers of pounds is the minimum wage to live on and then paying far less to people on benefits is double standards imo.

All increases in wage will be passed on to the customer, pure and simple.

O well i bet the steam packet will have a few more one way tickets booked for here.

I know a friend in london was telling me the polish are heading to the island because its better pay and less tax.

He was alo telling me that a lot of the local companies have gone bust due to polish companies under cutting local's.

I see the first full job advert in Polish appeared in this weeks Examiner. Underneath it was the same ad in English but to deliberately run a local ad in a foreign language strongly indicates who you really expect to be recruiting (ie. non locals and people who don't even speak English).

i wonder if apprentices get pay rise too?

Archived