Taxi Chaps

Carter

I'm the one on manx radio today condeming the taxi drivers. I own a taxi company and I was really embarrased to see what they were doing.

I have to say that I'm not surprised by what you are all saying and can assure you that I feel the same. While some of us are trying to get on with the job a few Douglas taxi drivers are doing the best to bring shame on us.

Please, please, please put your comments in writing, or get on the radio and tell these wasters what the public really think of them.

I know it sounds strange comming from a taxi driver but I am the one who keeps having to remind these people that we owe a great debt to the public for giving us the oportunity to make a living.

The least we could do is repay the public with a decent taxi service!

Paul

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please, please, please put your comments in writing, or get on the radio and tell these wasters what the public really think of them.

Forums ARE the new radio/newspapers... Let them come to us, the ludites

Problem is how many want to actualy look to see what the public think? These taxi drivers think they are right and that they are above anyone else. Oh, and none of them have things like laptops in thier taxis, only the Sun, Sport etc.

I think that when they get this survey that they are demanding it should include comments like I have read here today. You can rest assured your comments will all be passed on to the Road Transport Licensing Committee by me.

Maybe we can shake these militants into getting up of thier ar*ses and doing some good for a change.

Thanks for responding Paul.

I heard you on Mandate at lunchtime, you sounded like you had a decent head on your shoulders and it did seem that it was a minority who were taking this action.

Unfortunatley the Taxi drivers who took this action also did so at the the best time possible, when Manx Radio has scrapped or at least pruned the 'Mannin Line'. I am sure there would be a few comments made on that show today it it was still running. We don't seem to have a public right to voice our opinions now.

If they were looking for sympathy from the public then they seem to have failed. It seem they have got everyones backs up. Unfortunatley even though it was a minority, all taxi drivers seem to have been tarnished now with the same brush.

Good luck!

Yep now they've done it, alienated any support they ever had and that wasn't much.

Ah lets make all our customers late for work, GREAT idea eh. How to win support. NOT.

have to agree very strongly with this sentiment.

I really, really needed to be in work on time today, and I'd like to thank all the taxi drivers for choosing today to make life extra difficult for me.

Noone has a guaranteed job these days - wake up and smell the coffee. I also know a guy who has a taxi and he is booked solid because he provides such a 5 star service - perhaps those who are claiming they cant make ends meet need to have a quick run through the old customer service skills.

I'm the one on manx radio today condeming the taxi drivers.  I own a taxi company and I was really embarrased to see what they were doing. 

I have to say that I'm not surprised by what you are all saying and can assure you that I feel the same.  While some of us are trying to get on with the job a few Douglas taxi drivers are doing the best to bring shame on us.

Good on you Paul. It's good to see that some of you are sensible and realise what childish behaviour this is.

I don't often get taxis these days now I'm living in Douglas but if I knew which company yours was I'd be happy to use it where possible over all the dummy spitting waster competition, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would either...

Todays taxi protest thing didn't gain any support from me. My son was late getting to his grandparents, which in turn made my missus late for work which in turn resulted in grief when I got home from work tonight.

I also know a lot of people who were caught up in this, some were late for work, some will lose money as a result. I will be blocking the taxi rank outside the villa marina this week end, probably caused by a "mechanical failure" on my car whilst towing a trailer. Anyone want to join me?

While we're talking about it, is the company in Castletown that does a run from our premises in Castletown to the airport at double tarrif during normal hours (instead of normal tarrif as it should be) "because it isn't worth their while otherwise" breaking the law?

Seems utterly illegal to me, drivers should take the rough with the smooth just like any other business, but I need confirmation..

While we're talking about it, is the company in Castletown that does a run from our premises in Castletown to the airport at double tarrif during normal hours (instead of normal tarrif as it should be) "because it isn't worth their while otherwise" breaking the law?

Seems utterly illegal to me, drivers should take the rough with the smooth just like any other business, but I need confirmation..

You are quite right, it is utterly illegal. The only exception can be when a fare has been agreed in advance and is not calculated using the taximeter. If you agree to pay that amount in advance (i.e at the time of booking) you have little chance of making a successful complaint. However I would suggest you write with full details to:-

Mr Brian Leece

Secretary

Road Transport Licensing Committee

Ronaldsway Airport

Ballasalla

IM9 2AS

I am sick and tired of taxi drivers over charging for short fares. Once again it shows why people believe that we are ripping them off all the time and doesn't do us any favours in popularity.

Paul H

Archived