Natwest Island Games

Last Ten

Although there's nothing in the news about my own sport, by the sounds of things I made the right choice not to go to these games.

To be perfectly honest ans, I think you should have gone and kept them all in bleedin check, just like you do to us here :D:rolleyes:

Last 10

My other 'arf has been over there all week. Some of the stories she's been telling me on the phone are unbelievable!

My favourite has to be in one of the mens cycling road races. The marshalls didnt seem to know where the course went, so ended up arguing amongst each other which resulted in the competitors being sent three different ways! :rolleyes:

Then at the end nobody knew who'd won!

I attended the opening ceremony and lost the will to live.

Kept all of the competitors (apart from the Rhodes team who allowed to arrive late) stood in some waste ground for nearly two hours while the strong winds blew dust and other crap into everyones faces.

Then we were lead into an ancient stadium and sat on stone steps listening to three hours of a man and woman shouting at each other over microphones and then fires being lit and blokes on stilts, that was it for THREE HOURS !!

Had to walk out and as we stood up one of the team spotted a four inch scorpion sat on the step next to us enjoying the spectacle

Apart from that its been pretty good, sound likes the others sports have had problems but ours ran very smoothly !

The Island Games Association should have a duty of care to the competitors in ensuring that a member Island which is awarded the games to host actually has the facilities, knowledge and experience to run the sports properly. It would seem that they dropped the ball on this one, by not getting answers to questions such as:

Is your pool the right length?

What will be your process for getting permission to run closed-roads races?

How will you be assisting the "higher latitudes" competitors in dealing with local weather conditions?

How many marshalls and what quantity of signage will you be using for the cycling courses?

What is your schedule for completion of new facilities?

It's a pity that the competitors, many of whom have trained hard, made sacrifices *specifically* for the Games and treated it as the focus of their year of competition, have been let down by the IGA awarding the games to an enthusiastic but unprepared host.

OTOH, some could hold the view that, because it's the "Friendly Games", it doesn't need the same level of professionalism and preparation as other events. This does a great disservice to the competitors who put a lot of time, money and effort into preparing for and competing in the Games.

Archived