Groves Road Junction

Smeagle

There is nothing wrong with the Groves Road junction, it's just dickheads who are incapable of using lanes or even worse are incapable of reading signage. I've seen numerous junctions with similar light sequences in the UK. Keyboarder if you cannot cope - keep off the road.

What a silly post. How many similar light sequences in the UK have you seen that were accompanied with the sign informing people to "Wait For The Green Arrow" ? I've never seen one. And I've seen numerous similar junctions in the UK, none of which had such a sequence. Someone's cocked the sequence up - it's as simple as that.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wait for green arrow was placed after the alteration to the junction as dickheads like you cannot be trusted to use common sense and understand lane management. Oh and light sequences using filter arrows can be found the lenght and breadth of the UK. Are you sure you actually passed a driving test ?

you really are stupid aren't you, as i've said, the green arrow to go straight ahead comes on ( you know the one you said didn't exist) :

(iirc, this isn't an ahead arrow, it's a standard green light).

the other green arrow doesn't, you know where the two sets of lights are together (again, the ones you didn't say existed)

yes there is, across the junction on the right hand side there is two sets of lights, both with arrows on,pretty easy to see.

Somone's obviously had a rethink then for it wasn't ever thus..............

Do you find it hard to wait until the green arrow comes on to turn right? do you just see green and get all excited and go.

I really don't see the problem :unsure:

The wait for green arrow was placed after the alteration to the junction as dickheads like you cannot be trusted to use common sense and understand lane management.

exactly, I've seen loads of crashes with people trying to cut into groves road as soon as the lights changed only to hit a car or bike coming the other way.

I feel myself compelled to agree with keyboarder. They've got it right at the left turn at the lights at the top of Bray Hill on to Ballanard Road. The red light should stay on while the green filter comes on and it apparently doesn't at the Groves Road junction.

No, there is a light for each lane, its not hard, there's only 2 lanes. I understand what you're saying, but unless your lane's light turns green its not your turn, they're clearly marked arrows.

The wait for green arrow was placed after the alteration to the junction as dickheads like you cannot be trusted to use common sense and understand lane management. Oh and light sequences using filter arrows can be found the lenght and breadth of the UK. Are you sure you actually passed a driving test ?

Why are you personalising the argument you ignorant plank. Oh sorry, you've got me at it now,lol... The discussion has nothing to do with me and my ability to cope with road situations. The junction has been badly thought out, and with exactly the same number of light system components could be much safer. Picture, if you can, this sequence.

The lights are red.

The lights remain red, but for a straight ahead filter in green.

The lights are all green.

The sequence repeats.

Now explain to me how the current set up is as safe, or even as sensible, as my theoretical scenario. Or even how it works out more economical.

I feel myself compelled to agree with keyboarder. They've got it right at the left turn at the lights at the top of Bray Hill on to Ballanard Road. The red light should stay on while the green filter comes on and it apparently doesn't at the Groves Road junction.

Thank the Lord,lol,lol...... And I know an admission like this doesn't come easily when it appears to defend me,lol,lol.........

The wait for green arrow was placed after the alteration to the junction as dickheads like you cannot be trusted to use common sense and understand lane management.

exactly, I've seen loads of crashes with people trying to cut into groves road as soon as the lights changed only to hit a car or bike coming the other way.

They wouldn't need a sign saying "wait for green arrows" at that junction if they left the red light on while the filter light was on green. Yes, there numpties in the right lane for going south who are likely to see no red and all green in the corner of their eye and go to drive off when they shouldn't. That sign will have cost more than leaving the red light on for a few more seconds. It works the way it is, when there aren't numpties in the queue, but it could be better.

It's the most confusing layout + set of lights you could ever come across, and relies on local knowledge to make it across safely (including watching for people getting caught out by the confusing layout).

When you come to a set of light you should be presented with a recognisable standard layout. I do not think this description could ever be applied to this set of lights or lane layout (or even the previous lighting arrangement, lacking the repeat set of lights on the springfield villas corner).

You can drive all over the UK and be presented with standard layouts wherever you go, so how hard is it to make it work here.

Why was the left turn lane into Groves Rd. not made to cut the corner if they were expecting the right lane to cut across to the left lane when going south ?, that would have allowed the south lane to go straight ahead as expected.

On a side matter, I happened to travel the old Castletown road today for the first time in a long while, the road markings are either crazy or completely missing, crazy with wide separation zones in the middle of a very narrow road, and it doesn't help when the hedges encroach a metre or more into the road by being so overgrown.

My only gripe about groves road junction is that if you're heading south there's a full bank of lights for each lane, but somehow they didn't follow though with the logic and do the same for the opposite direction. It could do with another bank of lights instead of the filter arrow and a sign asking you to wait for it. If they'd done that they wouldn't need a temporary sign. What's going to happen when they get rid of the temporary sign?

It could do with another bank of lights instead of the filter arrow and a sign asking you to wait for it. If they'd done that they wouldn't need a temporary sign.

That would be good but not strictly necessary. A simple rearrangement of the current equipment would be perfectly adequate.

Another thing, while we're on the subject. The amber light is not arrow shaped. (that would just be insane, coming as it does before red). Now, when, after having waited at the red light, the lights change to red/amber, the impression is given that all traffic should be prepared to move forward at green.(and let's be honest, few of us actually wait for the green). Those who have anticipated the green and moved early are then hit (if they are still even looking at the lights) with the fact that the forward pointing arrow is actually not for them. (assuming they were planning to turn right). Ergo, the sign that says wait for the filter actually contradicts the legal instructions of the lights, and when it is removed the lights will actually be illegal, imo. At the very least contrary to the spirit of the Highway Code. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, and as Tempus Fugit said is relying on local knowledge to deal with the junction.

The road layout is totally stupid and doesn't let the traffic flow at all (which I am guessing was supposed to be the original plan) and I myself have been caught out a couple of times heading down the left lane then having to indicate and switch to the right lane when heading south.

The traffic lights have simply been F"%ked up and I bet they will be changed in the near future...well at least I hope they do before someone does have a nasty accident.

My only gripe about groves road junction is that if you're heading south there's a full bank of lights for each lane, but somehow they didn't follow though with the logic and do the same for the opposite direction. It could do with another bank of lights instead of the filter arrow and a sign asking you to wait for it. If they'd done that they wouldn't need a temporary sign. What's going to happen when they get rid of the temporary sign?

the problem turning right is that there is nothing to indicate that the right lane should not move forward and wait in the normal position (over a sensing loop ?), as that then conflicts with the traffic from the other side doing it's slalom across the junction, but the last time I went to turn right there the road was deserted with no opposing traffic and nothing to prevent me turning right without a green right arrow and no red light to show me not to do so.

Archived