Groves Road Junction

Smeagle

Has anyone else noticed that, at night, the lights for north bound traffic to the QB change to red and in the same sequence change back to green. So many times I have slowed ready to stop for red, only to see them immediately change to green again. What purpose does that serve other than to illustrate how ill-thought out it all now is?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At night they switch over to the sensors in the road so as soon as you approach the junction, if there is no-one else coming from the other directions, your path will turn green.

Unless you're heading from Anaghcoar towards QB and in the right hand lane to turn right, you can sit & watch a full sequence of changes without the right turn arrow coming on at all!!!

are the various other supplementary signs scattered about on the grass and up poles in the distance actually a legal part of a set of light signals ?, if there is no right filter arrow showing (to indicate that it should be safe to proceed and that opposing traffic is on red) there is NO red light to indicate that you must not actually turn right if the road is clear.

there is NO red light to indicate that you must not actually turn right if the road is clear.

The penny finally drops, lol...

And likewise there is no green light to indicate it's safe to proceed, the straight ahead light is exactly that, an arrow for straight ahead. I could see your point if that was just a green light and not an arrow!! ;)

And likewise there is no green light to indicate it's safe to proceed, the straight ahead light is exactly that, an arrow for straight ahead. I could see your point if that was just a green light and not an arrow!! ;)

There is a red/amber combination.

Edit. Sorry, not too clear there. The red/amber combination (standard round lights, not arrows) precedes the green straight ahead arrow. Whether anyone likes it or not, and at risk of repeating myself in a dull way, the DOT, or at least someone who works there has invented this unique light sequence which in my opinion is illegal.

There is a red/amber combination.

coming from the south ? I don't think so, if the ahead arrow isn't to taken into account then the right turn lane has NO light to tell it what to do, just left in limbo

coming from the south ? I don't think so, if the ahead arrow isn't to taken into account then the right turn lane has NO light to tell it what to do, just left in limbo

Sorry, I've added to my post - I agree with you completely.

the solution to that being that the red/amber should be on the right turn set, and the ahead should purely be a filter arrow if that's what they really intended (but who knows what they intended by what they produced !)

Indeed.

Coming one way, they have two seperate Red/Amber/Green lights - one to turn one way and one to go straight on.

Coming the other way, there is only one Red and Amber light and then two Green ones - one to turn one way and one to go straight on.

Madness...........

Archived