Groves Road Junction

Smeagle

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a good one today. Driving back from college, through QB, heading south. One car infront of me, old male. A scooter travelled up to the front of the queue with L plates on. Lights on red. Green left turn arrow comes on and both the car and the scooted started driving off. Even WITH traffic from the left coming through. Damn noobs.

Showed me though that there isn't so much a bad generation of driving (all the younguns screaming *mandatory tests for the old* and all the oldies screaming *younguns drive to recklessly*), but instead just a general incompetence among manx drivers. I really hadn't noticed it that much before. C'mon chaps, what other reason would that red light be doing there?

PLEASE someone go and put a black binbag over the left lane red and amber lights and we'll all be safe again !

you only need a filter arrow on that lane

(with these spare lights, put them on the other side so that the right-turn lane has some indication what to do when the ahead green arrow comes on and the right lane is left in limbo with no indications what to do)

Amazing. Come back to find EIGHT pages about a traffic junction.

For those complaining, anyone not able to negotiate or understand a simple junction like that should not be allowed to drive.

Lol @ Lawnmower. It's not really about ability to negotiate is it? Anyone not able to understand that this is not a properly thought out light sequence should not be allowed to drive. (yes Lawnmower, that means you,lol,lol..... Amongst others of course. ; ).....)

Amazing. Come back to find EIGHT pages about a traffic junction.

For those complaining, anyone not able to negotiate or understand a simple junction like that should not be allowed to drive.

It's not THAT tricky I agree, but it is the first time you encounter it (certainly going south) because it's counter-intuitive (having to pull out of your lane, which appears to be heading straight on, in order to travel straight on)

ANOTHER near miss today :(

Coming from the south, red lights, two lanes of stationary traffic ahead of me, cars emerge from Groves Road at the same time as a blue saloon comes off the south-bound lane opposite, and to confound the situation a fire appliance on 'blues&twos' comes down the wrong carriageway from behind me, and heaven knows how they avoicded a coming-together I couldn't see because of the queue ahead of me.

HELLO ! DoT, you have been told many times about this disfuntional junction - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER BEFORE SOMEONE IS KILLED

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

car in front of me set off on a red light heading south and almost t-boned a small black car coming off Groves Rd. no doubt cursing them for being there (about 7pm last night)

If I am ever asked for witness statements for accidents there they will be somewhat caustic about the design of the lighting system there and lay total blame on the DoT for the outcome of any incidents.

• 3 weeks later...

Yippee, they are going to fix it ! (MR news story)

from the DoT Highways newsletter

Minor changes to Groves Road/

New Castletown Road junction

This month will see minor modifications to the traffic light

displays and road markings on the New Castletown Road

approaches at this busy junction.

The refurbishment of the traffic lights at this junction was

completed in May 2007 prior to the commencement of the

TT festival and has successfully reduced the lengths of

queuing traffic at this location.

However, some motorists have experienced difficulties with

the use of separate traffic lights for individual lanes of traffic,

maintaining the correct road position while passing through

the junction and waiting at the stop line until the green arrow

displaying their intended direction of travel is illuminated.

The new layout and traffic light displays have been the

subject of debate both politically in the House of Keys and in

the media.

The Department has monitored traffic conditions and driver

behaviour at this junction since the junction capacity was

increased and the following minor changes will be carried out

in January to simplify the traffic light information displayed

to motorists:

• The traffic lights for individual lanes of traffic on new

Castletown Road will be modified and a single red

traffic light with a ‘left turn’ filter arrow will now be

used to control traffic approaching from Quarterbridge.

A single red traffic light with a ‘straight on’ filter arrow

will now be used to control traffic approaching from

Anagh Coar

• Additional road markings will be installed within the

traffic light controlled junction to guide the flow of traffic

through the junction and prevent motorists cutting across

the paths of other vehicles

These alterations will decrease the flow of traffic through

the junction when the pedestrian crossing facilities on

Groves Road and New Castletown Road in the vicinity

of Ballaughton Close are requested by members of

the public.

However, the changes will reduce the number of incidents

when vehicles pass through red traffic lights.

see my post of August 11th which says

I think the solution to the lights at Groves Road junction is for the south-bound traffic to only have a left filter arrow into Groves Road (no red & amber lights as these tend to be misinterpreted by the ahead lane).

For the north-bound lanes, have red/amber/green on the right lane (which also serves as a global red), and just an ahead filter green arrow on the left lane to allow ahead traffic when the opposing lane is green.

This then becomes more like the standard setup where we all know how it works.

Also, extend the white lane marking on the southbound left lane to a point level with the end of the kerb (like a formula1 pit-lane exit line) to prevent southbound traffic cutting across too soon

so do they read the forum ? :P

Archived