Tynwald Day

day trip to bangor

I did the gardening, under orders. Until it rained and then went to the Bowler.

I've been only the once to Tynwald, as a 9 year old. So 'been there done' that sort of thing.

My neighbour, who is a bit of a political anorak, went along to St John's as usual. He said over the past few years Peter Karran one of the MHKs for Onchan, is noted for being the only one not wearing his top hat in the procession to The Hill. Why I'm not sure - probably because he is considered a bit of a rebel, or a radical, or a one man opposition - or whatever. I think most folk accept this and apparently PK is known for his stance. Anyway, apparently there was another politician who this year also dared not to comply - none other than the newbie chap from Onchan who was finally elected on his 7th attempt at election for the Keys - David Quirk.

Me pal was looking incredulously at this spectacle - wondering if David was trying to emulate or be in Peter's Gang, or fancied himself as a bit of a radical himself or something. Anyway, a well spoken chap noted my pal's consternation and informed him "Don't worry old chap. David has probably simply forgotten to put his hat on and left it under the pew in the church".

Mmmmh, I wonder.

Anyway, how did everyone else spend the glorious 5th July?

Well, since he got elected he seems to now ignore me and everybody else, so I hardly expect Quirky to reply to a post from someone who finally got him there.

Us older Onchanites have long memories, but I suppose to hell with us lot, there will be the current day nippers to vote farm, and who will be of voting age come November 2011

:)

I went for a drive late morning. Stopped off at The Ayres and went for a walk along the beach, before taking the back roads to Ballaugh and then heading back to Ramsey. Went to the Sulby Glen for supper, very nice it was too. Went around the pubs in Ramsey after that too.

Not the most exciting of days but it was nice to get out and about and do stuff.

I stayed at home, planned a coup and subsequent ruthless consolidation of power, then went out for coffee and a gander at the shops.

The last time I went to Tynwald (about ten years ago now) I was accosted by a man asking me if I knew what the most deadly thing in the world is (turns out that it was sin, not cancer or a blunderbuss loaded with live cobras, as I'd hoped) and watched a bunch of scouts demonstrating something or other. I've never felt the need to repeat the experience.

Well, since he got elected he seems to now ignore me and everybody else, so I hardly expect Quirky to reply to a post from someone who finally got him there.

I don't know you and who everybody else is, but I don't think much has changed since he was elected - and he certainly doesn't ignore me nor everybody else. He's probably got more commitments now, but he is one of the more approachable MHKs I know.

I opened my curtains and saw rain coming past it horizontally so set about some much needed housework I'd been putting off

One of those days where nothing much happens but you feel better at the end of it

Us older Onchanites have long memories, but I suppose to hell with us lot, there will be the current day nippers to vote farm, and who will be of voting age come November 2011

Apparently once they are in a departmental position ,they are not allowed to speak to you without a medical officer (as it takes a while for the lobotomy to heal)or an officer of the department being in their presence , according to Phil Gawne anyway?

P.S

*****I lied about the medical officer******

I don't know DQ but I think in general that its interesting to monitor MHK's over their first 9 months in office. Most of the newbies are already aloof and have adopted that "I'm now better than you" look.

I don't think many of them came onto the field to meet the 'plebs'.

I understand they went off to lunch at Glen Helen.

That makes the President's Lunch, Tynwald Garden Party and Tynwald Lunch all in one week.

No wonder they all put on weight when they get into office.

I actually went, thought I ought to go once in my life. Liked the brief flypast. Had a good burger spoilt only by the grovelling narration of the comentator as the great and the good filed out of church. Enjoyed watching the rotund penguin job pushing the cameramen out of the way as the procession went to the hill itself. Laughed at the pompous expressions and some of the dress sense. Got bored so went to Silverdale and had a picnic.End of.........

went to the Shakti stall and mulled over buying some FairTrade Shakti Manx chocolate but got dragged away for a cheeseburger and didn't get back so will have to go to call in at the shop in Ramsey next week to make a purchase.

went to the Shakti stall and mulled over buying some FairTrade Shakti Manx chocolate but got dragged away for a cheeseburger and didn't get back so will have to go to call in at the shop in Ramsey next week to make a purchase.

can recommend the one with toffee/caramelly stuff in the middle - I was looking forward to a bar I had in the cupboard only to discover my significant other had eaten it sneakily

mmm....sounds good better lock up what I buy or I can see the same thing happening and finding the cupboard bare when I go to look in it - how come woman think "chocolate, that must be for me" and then proceed to eat it without asking?

Archived