Tynwald Day

day trip to bangor

I actually went, thought I ought to go once in my life. Liked the brief flypast. Had a good burger spoilt only by the grovelling narration of the comentator as the great and the good filed out of church. Enjoyed watching the rotund penguin job pushing the cameramen out of the way as the procession went to the hill itself. Laughed at the pompous expressions and some of the dress sense. Got bored so went to Silverdale and had a picnic.End of.........

Apart from Silverdale (we went to Bishopscourt) that was my Tynwald Day too.

The pomposity was only stomachable by looking up at the near empty grandstand. Fortunately the 'good' and the grand have plenty of family to make up an audience but hardly a crowd.

The busiest place was the Tynwald pub. I had a swifty in there. It was full of people who have been banned from just about every other pub on the Island. Maybe there is a custom that there is an amnesty at the Tynwald for the day?

I had a cack tynwald day. The trapped nerve/sciatica I got on Monday went mental and for a while I couldn't move at all. It took me ten minutes to move about 4 yards and then I had to resort to crawling & lying on the floor for an hour or so. Not fun at all.

After the painkillers kicked in I managed to get on the sofa where I was confined to playing videogames for several hours! :D

Well, since he got elected he seems to now ignore me and everybody else, so I hardly expect Quirky to reply to a post from someone who finally got him there.

Us older Onchanites have long memories, but I suppose to hell with us lot, there will be the current day nippers to vote farm, and who will be of voting age come November 2011

:)

I don't know DQ but I think in general that its interesting to monitor MHK's over their first 9 months in office. Most of the newbies are already aloof and have adopted that "I'm now better than you" look.

I don't think many of them came onto the field to meet the 'plebs'.

I understand they went off to lunch at Glen Helen.

That makes the President's Lunch, Tynwald Garden Party and Tynwald Lunch all in one week.

No wonder they all put on weight when they get into office.

You forgot the Tynwald Banquet in the evening of Tynwald Day!

Archived