Steam Packet Probe

manxy

I've always liked Peter Karrans relentless attack on those people in high positions to get to the truth of the matter and it's good to see that MHK Bill Malarkey has 'tabled a motion seeking to amend the agreed investigation into the Steam Packet's price structure so that it also includes a probe into the 'standard of service offered to both passengers and freight users by the company' (iomtoday.co.im)

I know that many a ferry passenger was dismayed by their travel arrangements and hopefully, this motion will go some way to address the situation.

Maybe the Government will look at an alternative ferry company or open new services from Ramsey to Scotland, but hopefully they will look at taking a view to ending the monopoly that currently exists, as it costs a fortune to travel off island.

What do you think?

yes - the topic appears more regularly than the winter fast craft sailings.

I wait with interest to see if he manages to get any public comments from the heavy users of the freight service - would you dare criticise your business lifeline unless there was an alternative?

All good manxies love Peter Karran,but unfortunatly he's wading in a river of shite,with very small wellies,

Q?

Can I crack my banana joke now?

I'm all for monopoly-busting, but you're living in a dream world if you think there are other ferry operators out there clamouring to operate services to the Isle of Man. By all means remove restrictive agreements in favour of the Steam Packet, but don't expect an influx of choice.

When a small supposedly self sufficient nation likes our's rakes in huge amounts of cash, there needs to be 'legitimate' ways of dissipating that cash.

This is done through 'business'. Of course it is best that that 'business' is done without upsetting the big apple cart.

Unfortunately greed coupled with incompetence can take over and spoil things.

To illustrate:

The New Hospital 'lost' many many £MILLIONS of pounds.

Ditto IRIS.

Ditto MEA.

et al

Money is in fact almost impossible to lose. It always goes somewhere.

It ends up going into someone's hipper.

The Steam Packet is simply running a business and the cash cow of the Isle of Man is currently feeding out big time.

Please, just let them get on with it.

Edited to add that I personally have never found the Steam Packet other than an excellent reasonably priced service.

If you worked for me I would be very miffed if I had to pay you to travel to London and it was nearly £300 a time. Or do you insist on flying premium economy or or fully flexible. If I booked now to Gatwick for Wednesday this week it would cost around £185 return with £56 of that being taxes. If I left it a month it would be £141. The dates I just picked at random.

I'd liked to see you get to Honk Kong, South Africa or Dubai on the same basis at those prices.

Yes Flights to the IoM may not be the cheapest but £141 including all taxes booking a month in advance is not bad. You can actual get it cheaper if you are not trying to do a day return. Also it is cheaper if you go with other airlines to other airports. But it really pisses me off when people compare fully flexible return tickets to the the cheapest transatlantic ticket as the comparisons are meaningless

I'd actually like to see a wider probe into transport costs. It surely must have dawned on somebody that the reason we have no tourists is that its too bloody expensive to get here. Boat and airfares have just got to be a joke. I travel into London frequently and its an average of nearly £300 a shot for a day return. If I was in the UK I could fly to Hong Kong, South Africa or Dubai for that. That is the comparison people draw (that and the total lack of decent ongoing connections).

This barrier to mobility is one of the biggest barriers being put on our economy - I even hear businessmen moan now about how stupid fares have got.

to be honest, i think prices are pretty reasonable19ish quid for a foot passenger and 160 quid for a car and 4 people aint bad if your not fussy bout night sailings, it costs a lot to run those boats and then theres crew (which they need for legal and emergency requirements) and at the end of the day, would it be cheaper to fly, even if competition did come, they wouldnt be much cheaper, if most people werent fussed about a conventional ferry time and didnt expect 2 and a half hours maybe it would be a bit cheaper as seacats are more fuel guzzling. i dont know what everybodys problem is

Well, I have just returned tonight on the Super Seacat from Liverpool. It is 5 years almost to the day since I last travelled by the racket. I have no great complaints about the price, although it was dearer than the three nights B&B at a good quality hotel in Chester; but I do have a complaint about the standard of the boat itself. It is tatty, seats were at a premium, and the service from one particular staff member on the food dispensary was nothing short of rude. He was clearly not happy with his role in 'forward facing customer relations'; he just sneered the whole way through the transaction and pushed a plate of chips with such disdain that plopped some of the chips off the plate!

A thoroughly unpleasant chap.

Archived