Alien Vs Predator 2

Without the newt/ripley bond, 'Get away from her, you bitch!' wouldn't have had so much of an impact.

That was the bit I felt was cheesiest! First all the aliens (last seen massing in numbers in the colony) get bored of stalking air vents and go on their lunchbreak instead, allowing the survivors to make their way to the drop ship with only a couple of interruptions. Then Ripley happily marches into the very heart of the hive, when marines couldn't even make it past the front door without being torn to shreds in a heartbeat, and the aliens politely let her spend a few minutes burning their young before hopping into a lift and making her escape. Then the alien queen mysteriously manages to climb on board the drop ship without anyone noticing, only to get blapsed up by Ripley in a walking forklift truck and thrown out of the airlock, meeting the same fate as the last alien Ripley met.

I'd have preferred it if they'd played out the survival theme of the remaining characters for longer than make shortcuts towards a big duel at the end. Having said that, I seem to be the only person in the world who thought that Alien 3 was a pretty good movie (apart from the conspiracy theory baddies turning up at the end), so there's a very real chance I'm just plain wrong.

No, Alien3 was a good movie. Worth watching the documentary on the making of it to find out just how much they screwed Fincher too as it would have been even better had they let him do what he wanted to do.

(apart from the conspiracy theory baddies turning up at the end

Yes but isn't that a running theme because the 'company' knew about the warning message in the first film and sent the Nostromo anyway.

(apart from the conspiracy theory baddies turning up at the end

Yes but isn't that a running theme because the 'company' knew about the warning message in the first film and sent the Nostromo anyway.

Aye, it's just that to have them turn up at the very last minute, looking extra specially sci-fi seemed a bit of a cliché, and a lame excuse to give the guy who played Bishop an appearance. That bit wasn't that far removed from what it would have been had Dick Dastardly turn up at the end to shout "Drat and Blast!".

Truth be told, the ever evolving Ripley story line started to get to me. In Aliens there didn't seem like there was any real reason the Marines would take her along for the ride when they already had a full briefing on what she knew, and Alien Ressurection just took the piss - it's genetic modification storyline was less a plot for an Alien film and more a poor excuse to give Sigourney Weaver an awful lot of money to hang about looking firm jawed about everything. With Alien they tried to make the monster the star of the show, despite its fleeting appearances, by Resurrection it had turned into some mental full on messiah story about Ripley.

I'll check out the documentary. Wasn't there at one point a plan to set Alien 3 on a wooden space station full of monks?

f you enjoyed the action in Alien3, you’ll love what went on behind the scenes. In the early nineties Twentieth Century Fox was experiencing some financial difficulties. They hoped that one big film would take care of their woes, so they decided to put all their eggs in a basket and invested as much time and money into another Alien sequel as they could afford. They started off with a story about an alien that has found its way to Earth and hired Renny Harlin to direct. Harlin was disappointed with the apparent lack of creativity with the project and asked to leave. He was replaced by Vincent Ward, who came up with his own version of the film. The movie was to be set on a planet made of wood that is inhabited by a group of monks. Storyboards were drawn up, construction began on the sets, and alien effects were created. But Ward and producers David Giler and Walter Hill just could not seem to get along, and Ward finally left the film with it nearly in production. Hill, already having earned a screenwriter’s credit, considered directing the film himself, but when David Fincher was suggested he was quickly thrown in the line of fire.

The cards were stacked against Fincher from the get go. He was brought on board after production had already begun. Sets were already under construction for the abandoned “wooden planet” idea. And there was literally no script for him to work with. So a story ended up being developed to fit around the money that was already spent on discarded ideas. Alien3 was largely written on the fly as new sets went up and new aliens were designed. The final product ends up hiding its troubled production well. It’s incredibly dark and moody and gracefully continues the tradition of the transitional Alien franchise. Nice save, Fincher.

The Quadrilogy DVD boxset has a bunch of the storyboards and concept art scanned in as a slideshow. I'll rip it later if I remember.

I've got that Ans, its got alternative versions to every film too, the Alien3 one is shite with the alien sprouting from a wilderbeast or something rather than the dog( i always thought it was the dog's pup that gave it its speed and 4 legged approach).

I love the films, resurrection was a pain in the arse but its still worth a watch. The original Alien is my all time favourite film, the only thing thats given me consistant nightmares. When i was a kid and it was first on tv, i got my ma to record it, bare in mind i was only bout 10 or something, she suspected it may be a bit beyond my years so watched it as she recorded it. At the ad break she rewound the chest burst scene and edited it out. Then after i'd watched it she told me what had happened because i was confused as to how all of a sudden there was a massive alien about. She should've just left it in, the nightmares i had for years after imagining it rather than seeing it :rolleyes: Thats the kind of shit that makes a proper film.

Without the newt/ripley bond, 'Get away from her, you bitch!' wouldn't have had so much of an impact.

That was the bit I felt was cheesiest! First all the aliens (last seen massing in numbers in the colony) get bored of stalking air vents and go on their lunchbreak instead, allowing the survivors to make their way to the drop ship with only a couple of interruptions. Then Ripley happily marches into the very heart of the hive, when marines couldn't even make it past the front door without being torn to shreds in a heartbeat, and the aliens politely let her spend a few minutes burning their young before hopping into a lift and making her escape. Then the alien queen mysteriously manages to climb on board the drop ship without anyone noticing, only to get blapsed up by Ripley in a walking forklift truck and thrown out of the airlock, meeting the same fate as the last alien Ripley met.

I'd have preferred it if they'd played out the survival theme of the remaining characters for longer than make shortcuts towards a big duel at the end. Having said that, I seem to be the only person in the world who thought that Alien 3 was a pretty good movie (apart from the conspiracy theory baddies turning up at the end), so there's a very real chance I'm just plain wrong.

Arrgh, stop trying to ruin the magic! Next you'll be saying bad things about Terminator 2...

Arrgh, stop trying to ruin the magic! Next you'll be saying bad things about Terminator 2...

No chance! Terminator 2 was as flawless a film as there's ever been.

Archived