[BBC News] Housing 'milestone' voted through

Newsbot

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I'd be lying if I told anybody that it would solve the problem of affordability of housing,"

Steve Rodan

That's an honest comment. So it is just 6,000 even more expensive houses for comeovers?

"It is hoped that new housing will encourage further economic growth"

Yes definately for people wanting to come rather than people living here.

Not too sure how much the two tiered system would help tbh OBs. Last time I checked, a similiar property to the one I own was £100k dearer in Guernsey (local market, not open market). Yes it would be cheaper but still out of the reach of many.

Maybe it's more the case that prices will have to be driven up that far before they start to consider it.

The problem with a two tier system is it discourages population growth, which is what they want in those places like guernsey which no longer have any developable space. We're not short of space, and we dont want to discourage population growth, entirely the opposite in fact.

We just need more houses, simple as that. The private sector will develop if land is released.

We just need more houses, simple as that. The private sector will develop if land is released.

The private sector have valid planning approval but have market control by choosing not to build them.

Which is why more land needs releasing to other elements of the private sector.

Mojomonkey is right this is NOT an issue of land being released. Its an issue of cartels of developers deciding not to develop land they already own. The whole local market is a pathetic stranglehold that's resulted in the Island being full of empty flats that investors can't resell and overpriced new builds that the government have to subsidise if they want them to be sold to 1st time buyers.

Oh rot. Prices here have inflated here roughly in line with the uk house prices, a 3 bed semi in mersyside will cost you around 200k, same as here. Are the prices being manipulated there in the same way you describe?

We deserve a property crash here as prices have been artificially inflated by unscrupulous developers for too long.

Who deserves to lose out the life savings they've spent on a house?

The property market is a market like any other, and an inflated market like world stockmarkets at this time. Anyone who buys a house and thinks that there is not a chance that values might fall is a total dick. Housing is not about having a roof over your head anymore, the old "bricks and mortar" concept is dead as many in the US are currently finding.

Do you own a property? I'm guessing you don't and your predictions of a crash are nothing more than wishful thinking.

Sure house prices can go down as well as up, but they have never fallen in the long term. A house isn't a short term investment so anyone who doesn't buy a house becuase they think the value will drop over the long term is a total dick.

just envisage and get in mind a mental picture of 6,000 new houses - where are they going to go?

+ 6,000 houses = 12,000 more cars etc etc etc

Keep in mind that the plan period runs until 2016, its not like 6,000 houses are going to suddenly appear over night.

Why does 6,000 houses equal 12,000 cars, not all households have one or more cars?

"I'd be lying if I told anybody that it would solve the problem of affordability of housing,"

Steve Rodan

That's an honest comment. So it is just 6,000 even more expensive houses for comeovers?

"It is hoped that new housing will encourage further economic growth"

Yes definately for people wanting to come rather than people living here.

" It is hoped that new housing will encourage further economic growth"

TRANSLATION

We've fucked up the financial sector by giving away most(if not all) of the advantages the Island enjoyed without a fight!

along with wasting vast sums of money on crackpot and badly costed capital schemes.

So now we need to increase spending in the economy in order to dig ourselves(gov'mt) out of the shit!.

The only way we can do this is by increasing the amount of people of taxable age in the community.

"Hence more housing(people)

A lot of people have mentioned the existence of two tier housing systems in Jersey- guernsey etc.

It can never happen here for the simple reason being that the govm't has gone too far down the road .of

tying hundreds?? of local people into the so called" affordable housing scheme".?

If the govm't tried to set up a two teir housing system now ,they would spend the next twenty years fending off court actions ,from these people who are already tied into the current set up.!!

Archived