Manx Radio Plans Digital Broadcasting

copycat

On the Mannin Line it was stated that MR is continuing to purse and developing plans for digital radio broadcasting - but they haven't any money !!!

its a choice - either the government cuts health and social services or it funds digital radio - what do you want?

a dentist when you need one or a doctor service for emergency night time events or to listen to what you already listen to but with a digital signal?

it will only be a month or so before the MR accounts to 31 March 2007 get published so it will be interesting to see how its doing financially and how much they want the taxpayers to stump up to fund some grandiose expansion and redevelopment plans.

I don't really care but what Manx Radio actually said was along the lines of DAB is coming to the Island and whilst they would like to broadcast on it they realise that it'll cost too much. They aren't begging for money for it or asking for hospitals to close in order to fund it. Typical reactionary story inventing rubbish from copycat.

Somebody told me they broadcast in STEREO on VHF too - and I never voted for THAT either - you might have two ears but you've only got one head! I think they could miss this DAB thing out altogether and let all the other stations go on it instead, so when visitors come over with their fancy new car radios they'll not be able to listen to OUR radio station - they don't pay for it so why should they?

No, the Government should spend more on professional consultants and Groves Road improvements - the grannies have already had far too much lately and give nothing back to society. Except cakes, sometimes.

No, the Government should spend more on professional consultants

W00t! Even more? They've already wasted invested £32 million over the last five years...

/note to self: re-train as consultant - loads of cash for telling people stuff they already knew - easy money...

What is this bollocks that the government should only spend money on healthcare, and any money they spend on anything else is being funneled away from healthcare?

It's bollocks. I don't want to live in a country where the only thing funded is the hospitals.

What is this bollocks that the government should only spend money on healthcare, and any money they spend on anything else is being funneled away from healthcare?

It's bollocks. I don't want to live in a country where the only thing funded is the hospitals.

Its funny how - again - people have taken Copycats statement at face value. As Mojomonkey pointed out at no time was it suggested that it was DAB or healthcare, and Manx Radio suggested it was an expensive option they probably wouldn't get funding for.

Somewhere there is some sad case getting his jollies off on spoof stories. I'm looking at you Copycat!

Most TV transmission services are provided by National Grid Wireless formerly arqiva formerly NTL broadcast, they provide the transmission for all the stations, they have done since the IBA was disbanded and NTL was set up to take over the transmitter sites..... They have agreed to switch over to a digital format

Most radio stations have their own transmitters and infrastructure so it is up to them to switch if they want to or not.

The only time a radio station would be forced to switch to digital would only be if OFCOM decided it was going to re-allocate radio broadcasting from the 88-108mHz band to wherever digital is these days.

But the suggestion is that at some point they will do that. see Ans's link...although since they've awarded licences up to 2019 I guess that the changepver isn't happening any time soon. More to the point though they seem not to be issuing any new ones, so whenever Manx Radio's comes up for renewal they'll have to switch.

I think we will get another 20 years out of FM yet, there will be all sorts of planning regarding whether we get local or national multiplexes and the cost of it all.

I think it will come down to somebody providing the multiplex and the cost to the radio stations using it. At the minute we all use our own transmission systems and rent floor/tower space and pay our electricity bills for every site!

a lot of these stations on digital are only broadcasting on 128/192kbps, BBC included... so whats the point, they feed them with uncompressed linear audio and then it get compressed down. The only benefit is the sub-carried data to tell you who's on air or what songs being played, we can do that with FM!

Archived